Menu

What if we don't use WWE?

Guest lahmeh

Guest lahmeh

OK so how much will my dc suffer if we don't us WWE? I know this is not the most popular board to ask this question but what if we used Spectrum Writing workbooks instead? They get good reviews and teach things like main idea, cause and effect and comparison. Would it be so bad to use these? This is an innocent question so please no bashing :blush:. Can you please tell me the benefits of using WWE? TIA! :)

I think you'll be fine :) For us, we chose WWE because of the exposure to great literature, the reading comprehension it develops and the copywork. My son also does Writing Strands 3 as he wanted to work more on creative writing skills. WWE only takes us 10 minutes a day so....it's worth it for us.

Well, how old are your children?

The content you describe in the Spectrum books would not necessarily be used for 1st-4th graders learning to write.

Sounds like the philosophy may be very different. And you need to choose which fits your kids and your teaching style.

WWE helps children get the writing skills they need so that when they enter the logic and rhetoric stage they can concentrate on content like themes, comparison, cause and effect.

It's a lot to ask a young elementary child to sit still, write carefully, spell correctly, analyze their topic, and get the thoughts from their head to the paper!

But if you have kids (older?) ready to do all that - go for it!!

Well, how old are your children?

The content you describe in the Spectrum books would not necessarily be used for 1st-4th graders learning to write.

Sounds like the philosophy may be very different. And you need to choose which fits your kids and your teaching style.

WWE helps children get the writing skills they need so that when they enter the logic and rhetoric stage they can concentrate on content like themes, comparison, cause and effect.

It's a lot to ask a young elementary child to sit still, write carefully, spell correctly, analyze their topic, and get the thoughts from their head to the paper!

But if you have kids (older?) ready to do all that - go for it!!

:iagree:

Depends on your goals. If you can get "The Complete Writer" from your local library (SWB is the author) you'll get a good overview of the approach WWE takes and decide if it's for you family or not. In it she outlines her writing philosophy for all grades (very briefly for the middle and high school, but you do get an overview). Personally, I buy into it so we're using WWE. It's simple and takes only 10-15 minutes a day. I've seen improvement in my reluctant ds, so much so that I bought SWB's lectures on the upper grades (from php) and listened to them. It's amazing how freeing it is!

That being said, tons and tons and tons of kids grow up without WWE and do just fine. It comes back to: "What are your goals for your kids?"

HTH

Edited by Jen+4dc

OK so how much will my dc suffer if we don't us WWE? I know this is not the most popular board to ask this question but what if we used Spectrum Writing workbooks instead? They get good reviews and teach things like main idea, cause and effect and comparison. Would it be so bad to use these? This is an innocent question so please no bashing :blush:. Can you please tell me the benefits of using WWE? TIA! :)

My DD just turned 9 and is in 4th. She went to PS for K thru part of 2nd grade and then did K-12 for 3rd. She could have done 4th grade LA in K12 from the placement tests they give, but I refused because I knew her writing abilities were not there yet. I turned out that even the amount of creative writing required for 3rd grade was beyond her abilities. It was a fight every day to do all of the writing for literature, language skills, composition and history. It was miserable for both DD and myself.

I bought WWE fundamentals and we started working our way through it from the first level. DD had the skills in her head for grammer and spelling workbooks, but wasn't able form a complete sentence verbally that were concise and on topic. We are up to level 2 and I still need to help her using questions and prompts to respond in complete sentences. She still struggles with being able to take a dictation sentence of more than 8 words and hold it in her head long enough to get it down on paper. I think for her WWE has helped me to break her problem down and identify that it is a memory and organization issue. It also gives us a quick and easy way to practice and build her memory and summarization skills. We will continue to practice these skills until it becomes natural for her. Then we will move on to more complex writing.

If your child struggles with writing it, would be good to check out the WWE Strong Fundamentals and try a few of the lessons or level placement tests.

HTH!:001_smile:

I would not skip WWE. SWB did a great job of creating bite-sized writing lessons. You can't beat it for the price and ease of use. My girls love their WWE lessons. I appreciate that it's a no-brainer for me w/ scripted lessons -- and answers (bonus!) :)

Look for a used copy on the for sale boards. I got lucky there.