Menu

Filing system dilemmas

mommy4ever

So I have finally just made time to get it done. It's a little slow going as I have a bunch to print. I am nearly done dd6 math mammoth :) We are completing grade 1 math, and moving into grade 2 math likely in early December. It works out to 7-9 pages a week. She likes numbers, so I don't think it would be too much. And every few weeks there's a 2 page cumulative review. I try to plan those on 7 page weeks. She likes to do the tests, so she can brag to daddy how well she is learning. SO Math is done. THIS Is easy.

However, I'm looking at other things. AAS, Pianimals, FLL, Art. How on earth do I plan it out to file? I'm thinking a grid, and slipping it in for each week. SOTW is simple enough.... slip in the activity sheets in her file, the text pages in mine(PDF).

I am on the fence for science. We did a little the WTM way. Just doing the experiments and discussing them as they did what they should do, dd6 enjoyed that. I didn't feel it was 'enough' So we got RS4K - biology. Didn't like it much..lol... but we didn't get into it much either as we got it at the end of the year. Any ideas, we have it would like to use it and make it more fun.

I would encourage you to use the system you've created--don't let it use you :-). Not everything needs to be filed or planned out. Some people DO plan out things like AAS--I just pick up where we left off the previous day. You could create a form or schedule as a placeholder in your filing system to make sure you do it that week if needed, or maybe stick the progress chart or something like that in as a reminder. You can plan a certain amount of time for some subjects if you want to have some consistency that way.

HTH! Merry :-)

I use HST so I just have AAS 20min assigned each day. I didn't file anything. One person said that for AAS, she is filing a blank sheet of paper with Spelling as the heading. Personally, I'm just keeping blank paper nearby since AAS is so selfpaced I don't know which days we'll be writing. For art, we're using the Evan Moor book: How to Teach Art to Children, which has a material list for each day. In HST, I'm putting these into my supply list for each assignment, which I'll print out by the week and file.

One person explained it this way, When you're trying to figure out what to file, imagine you're doing an assignment the next day and file whatever would help save time tomorrow.