Menu

DD wants MUS Alg 2... supplement it with Lial's/LoF? then what next?

My DD is using MUS geometry this summer (1st time with MUS) after struggling through a poor geometry program last year and not completing it. She really likes the arrangement of MUS with the DVD, lessons, etc., and wants to continue with it for Algebra II. But I've read that it's "light" and such. Maybe that's not a terrible thing, and maybe I could supplement with LoF or Lial's Intermediate Algebra (both of which I own). I was going to have her use Lial's, but now that she actually LIKES something, I'm afraid to change! lol

Let's say she starts MUS Alg 2 in a couple of weeks.... HOW do I supplement? (Or is it even necessary??) Maybe I could use some assessment from Lial's as we go along?

I know that TT Alg2 has some typical Alg2 topics pushed into the TT precalc book -- is MUS like that too? I've tried comparing content listings from various books, but am finding it hard to compare.

Also, has anyone's kids gone from MUS Alg 2 into Chalkdust Precalc? I ask because we own CD precalc for another DD and so that would be convenient. :)

Having a student LIKE a program is MORE than half the battle! I am a MUS fan because my kids really do understand with it. It might not be as hard as other books (which we have tried) but understanding is so much better than frustrating. Liking math (or tolerating with a good attitude) is so much better than hating math time everyday!

You can always have your student go through MUS at their own pace. If it is easy then they'll finish early and you can do a harder program to finish your year.

Just my opinion,

Pam

Thanks, Pam, that's a really good point about liking it. :) She saw me looking at a few books yesterday and said in a *hopeful* voice, "So, can I do MUS for Algebra 2?" And she might like something else too, but coming off the extreme frustration of the past 2 years using Glencoe (a fine program, just not well suited for self-teaching), it's wonderful to see her not loathing math. :)

Pam, I'm not sure what MUS levels your kids use, but do you see any problem jumping in to Alg 2 without having done MUS Alg 1?

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

We have used MUS from Primer through Algebra 1 and are on Lesson 6 of Algebra 2 (we are doing Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry) so far I don't think there would be any problems using Algebra 2 without having used Algebra 1. There is review of concepts from Algebra 1 in the beginning (such as factoring polynomials, negative/fractional/etc exponents, etc) and he demonstrates some with the blocks (especially when factoring) but they aren't necessary for your student to have or have prior knowledge of.

We use LoF with MUS. I use LoF behind MUS so they learn with MUS first, then LoF expands on and reinforces what they have learned. It also extends the course beyond 1 year so it's not forgotten (we'll be doing LoF Advanced Algebra at the same time as Geometry).

Interesting post - I was coming here to post a similar topic, and I'll jump on.

I moved eldest DD from MUS Geometry to CD Alg. 2.

BIG MISTAKE. I should have kept her with MUS. CD was overwhelming for her, and I didn't stay on top of her - ah, well, lesson learned.

Ds14 finished CD Alg. 1 - did relatively well. He's going to do MUS Geometry, and I was wondering what to supplement with so he doesn't forget his algebra this year. Does anyone think I could have him do LoF Beginning Algebra as a supplement? We own the book - he started it, and got stuck mid-way through (this was 2 years ago).

Thoughts?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Interesting post - I was coming here to post a similar topic, and I'll jump on.

I moved eldest DD from MUS Geometry to CD Alg. 2.

BIG MISTAKE. I should have kept her with MUS. CD was overwhelming for her, and I didn't stay on top of her - ah, well, lesson learned.

Ds14 finished CD Alg. 1 - did relatively well. He's going to do MUS Geometry, and I was wondering what to supplement with so he doesn't forget his algebra this year. Does anyone think I could have him do LoF Beginning Algebra as a supplement? We own the book - he started it, and got stuck mid-way through (this was 2 years ago).

Thoughts?

MUS reviews Algebra 1 during Geometry, in case you were thinking it didn't. When you first tried LoF was it before he'd done any Algebra? If so, it may work fine for him now that he's completed and Algebra 1 course, though I think the only way to know is to try it again.

MUS reviews Algebra 1 during Geometry, in case you were thinking it didn't. When you first tried LoF was it before he'd done any Algebra? If so, it may work fine for him now that he's completed and Algebra 1 course, though I think the only way to know is to try it again.

I hadn't remembered the review piece. . . . thanks!

Yes, we tried LoF before he'd had any Algebra. He enjoyed it, but when he got stuck, that was it. And the thing I don't like about LoF - even the Home Companion - is the lack of steps in the answers to the problems. The answers are there, sure, but no steps to help you see where your thinking was wrong.

We may give it another go 'round. Thanks, Cheryl.