Menu

MFW--ECC for 2nd grader

guateangel

I've never looked into this curriculum until today when I purchased it from a garage sale for $15 (couldn't pass it up for that price!) After some research I've discovered several ppl on this board think it's too much for a 2nd grader. Maybe I should shelve it for a year or two? What are your thoughts? I'm mainly looking to use it for geography, bible and the cultural aspect (have 2 adopted kiddos -- Vietnam and Guatemala.)

Oh, and it's the older version, if that makes a difference.

Well, I am doing ECC this year with a 1st grader and a 3rd grader, but if you visit the MFW website you will see that they recommend Adventures for 2nd graders who are the oldest in the family. Then you move on to ECC and the younger siblings join in. I'd suggest you visit their website before you decide.

You'd still be able to hang on to ECC (what a deal you got at that garage sale!) if you started with Adventures this year, and use it the following year.

I'd save ECC for another year or two down the road. There's some fun stuff in it that they would enjoy, but they'll really get more out of it if you wait. ECC is meant to be used in a family where the *oldest* child is at least 3rd grade.

With two adopted kiddos from another country, doing Adventures this year would be a good intro to their "new" home country... as well as to the names and characteristics of Jesus. :001_smile: Then you could follow it up with ECC next year.

The nice thing about knowing that you'll do it "later" with a child who's young now is that you don't feel like you HAVE to do everything there. You can skip some parts simply because you *know* they're not age appropriate, and you just have fun with it. Then when you cycle back around and the younger kids are older, you can skip the easy stuff and have them do the harder stuff (and books) that you didn't do before! ;)

I did it with an older second grader. He did fine. We didn't do some aspects of it though - there's a book (I can't remember the name now) that is recommended for 5th graders, so we did Rand McNally Intermediate Geography and Map activities.

Beth

I'm using MFW ECC this year w/ my DD, who is 6.5 & going into 2nd grade. We haven't started yet, but I've looked thru the TM (I have 1st edition) and can already tell that while we'll be modifying a bit, there is a lot we CAN use. :) While the majority of folks may choose to delay, there are more than a few who have done ECC w/ younger kiddos.

If its what you're interested in doing, go for it. Geography was a huge interest here (we have family around the globe) so we're going to make it work for this year. :)

Thanks for all the feedback. I think we are going to try it out and skip the harder stuff. If it isn't a good fit, I'll put it away for next year. I'll let her guide me. She shows an interest in learning about other countries and the people. Just last night she asked me about the people of India.

Thanks again for the feedback! :)