Menu

Reheboth Beach, DE?

A business associate recommended to dh a night or two at Brighton Suites in Reheboth Beach on our way home from Maryland. He mentioned schools start the end of August in DE, so it wouldn't be as crowded around the 27th. Is this true? Can anyone tell me if it's a decent area? We've never been to any DE beaches before. He also recommended taking the ferry to Cape May for the trip home to NJ, which I think ds would enjoy. Any restaurant recs or fun places to see would be appreciated.

Where in MD are you headed?

I live near Ocean City, and while I've only been to Rehoboth once (and it was as a child!) I do know that I've heard quite a few people mention it as a good alternative to Ocean City (which is dirty, crowded, overrun with crazy tourists, expensive, filled with party-crazy young adults.. Did I mention crowded?)

I don't know much beyond that, but hopefully someone else will have more information!

He also recommended taking the ferry to Cape May for the trip home to NJ, which I think ds would enjoy. Any restaurant recs or fun places to see would be appreciated.

I have done this, and it is great fun. I was 16 and went along with a family of 4 children from 1-10 and we all had a good time. I'd *definitely* recommend this!! :D

I'm a Delaware girl and I can highly recommend all the Delaware beaches. We love them all from Fenwick Island to Bethany Beach to Rehoboth. You can't go wrong with any of them. You'll have a fabulous time....enjoy!! And, don't forget to pick up some fudge and salt water taffy at Kandy Kitchen. Eat a pound or two for me....I love their fudge!!

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

We visited there two summers ago. We rented a condo. We only did the beach once and the kids weren't big on it, they don't like waves. We did enjoy the condo's pool though lol.

I don't know if he'd consider himself too old for it or not, but they have this pirate adventure thing nearby that your son might like, my daughter loved it! They'll dress the kids up like pirates, give them fake tattoos, take them for a ride on the pirate ship, show them a treasure map and tell them they're going to find a treasure. And then some other pirate comes up in this little motorized raft thingie with a pirate flag and the kids have to defend the treasure with water cannons and whatnot....at the end, they open the treasure chest and hand out little prizes to the kids...they played Limbo with them.... it was a lot of fun, we did it a couple of years ago!

http://www.piratesoflewesexpeditions.com/

If you're interested enough, I'm sure I can attach some pictures from when we went, let me know. :)

We are heading to Rehoboth Beach tomorrow. This will be our first visit to that area but our friends that are going with us have gone many times and really like the area a lot.

I'm going to look into that pirate thing since their little boy LOVES pirate themed things and I think my daughter would like it too!

The last week of August is by far our favorite week at the beach during the summer months. Many MD school have already started and the crowds are markedly smaller. My kids notice right away on the beach that "the regular people must have started school" as my son put it last year.

Rehobeth and Bethany Beach are both family friendly. If you are a pizza fan don't miss Grottos Pizza, we are a regular Candy Kitchen customer (they know DD by name), and we all like the Penguin Diner in Bethany for breakfast.

The ferry is fun for all.

Enjoy your stay. Waving from my beach chair (buy sadly my coffee cup is empty!):seeya:

We have vacationed in Rehoboth every year since I was a child, and my family just loves it. Don't miss Grotto Pizza and Funland, two classics both celebrating about a 50 year history there. The ferry is great, and if you want a really incredible beach, go to Cape Henlopen State park, right by the ferry. It is so beautiful there and pristine. We camp there a lot. Brighton Suites should be very nice and I bet you will love Rehoboth.

Have fun!

Beth in MD

http://www.facebook.com/homeschoolmaryland

http://www.homeschoolfrederick.com

I love love love Rehoboth Beach! It is small, eclectic and laid back. About 30 hour away is party central Ocean City with the rides and such (very party central atmosphere) - but there it is the beach, a small boardwalk with lots of little independent artsy shops. Very family friendly.

GREAT pizza at Grottos - Yummmmmmm. We used to go every summer when we lived up in PA - stayed at the cute pink Sand Castle hotel a few block from the beach.

A little bit away from the beach is the huge outlet malls. Those can be fun too. Also there are great water sports. We went jetskiing there and it was so fun!

And there is a fudge shop there on the boardwalk with the BEST fudge ever :D