Menu

Amish---are they changing a great deal?

We just went to Shipshewana, IN this week. It is a large Amish and Mennonite area. It seemed like many of the Amish were more 'worldly" (I don't like that word but hopefully you know what I mean) than before.

Many of them had cell phones.

Many women were wearing crocs or flip flops with bare legs in public

Infants had very bright colored blankets/acc.

Bright floral print purses/bags were very common

At the store they were buying a lot of prepacked and "junk" food items

Bikes weren't your basic ones but mountain bikes, BMX trick bikes, etc.

Kids with bright colored/printed/graphic sweatshirts

These are just a few examples. I did see some more "traditional" Amish families---the black shoes and stockings, plain clothing, black purse/bag, etc. but they were fewer and farther between.

Now, I don't think any of this is wrong but just seems like it goes against their culture/beliefs. As a group are they becoming more liberal?

Another thought---is it to their financial benefit though to be "Amish" as in driving the buggies, dressing plain, etc? Just think--how many people would be attracted to Shipshewana Amish area if they weren't driving the buggies, dressing plain, etc. Does their income depend a great deal on the tourist industry? With buggy rides at $6-18/person, farm tours at $36/person, etc.

Again, just curious here. The Amish culture has interested me since I was young. One of our horses was very likely an Amish buggy pony for kids when he was younger.

I live in an area with many Mennonites (and Hutterites). Mennonites come in all stripes from very conservative to very progressive. They mostly look just like you and me in appearance, but you can tell how conservative they are by their clothes, as the more conservative ones go with a certain dress style, covered hair (and it gets more covered the more conservative they are). Mennonites don't eschew worldly things. Only Amish do that. Amish also have a very distinctive dress. So if you saw some folks dressed plain, then those weren't Amish.

do people really care if they buy potato chips?

I'll speak to this, as I was the first to mention the chocolate and potato chip purchases by my Amish neighbors...

Anyway, I am sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't mean to sound judgmental or critical.

I wasn't offended. I read the thread last night and didn't remember potato chips being specifically mentioned. If I had, I would have used a different example.

I have been thinking about my post, and I think I did sound judgemental. I shouldn't have generalized. My post was out of line.

Even though those were real experiences, the same thing happens often with 'wordly' people. Maybe it is that 'holding to an ideal' thought process. Do they project this to the world, or do we project it onto them? Maybe both?

Edited by jazzyfizzle
typo