Menu

Thyroid...what does it mean if one's TSH is elevated but T3 & T4 are normal?

I'm seeing the doctor next week, but decided to get the results of my bloodwork now. This is what it says

TSH 6.87 (0.30 - 4.70)

Free T4 10.1 (9.1 - 23.8)

Free T3 4.5 (2.5 - 5.7)

Oh, and my iron is 6 (11 - 27).

Three months ago my TSH was 6.23 (no T tests were done). Since then I've been to the naturopath and I've been supplementing with iodine, vitamin c powder, B vitamins, and iron. I'm a little disappointed that there's been no change in my blood work, other than my TSH going up a little (the doctor said it can fluctuate in any given day). I'm wondering what it means if my T tests are in the normal range but my TSH is a little high...and I hypothyroid for sure, or so close that the doctor won't do anything? Has anyone had any luck taking care of it naturally?

I'm seeing the doctor next week, but decided to get the results of my bloodwork now. This is what it says

TSH 6.87 (0.30 - 4.70)

TSH normal range was changed to .3 - 3.0 quite a few years ago. And everyone reacts differently than everyone else. For me, to be at 6.87 I would not be able to get out of bed! I can't even be at 3.0, I just get so drained. My optimal range is between .3 and 1.5. But that is me.

Your doctor should not only follow your lab numbers - he (or she) should listen to your symptoms and adjust accordingly. One of my biggest pet peeves when I am looking for a new doctor is if they are a slave to the numbers. I don't care what they are, if you don't feel your best then something should change - either on your end with diet and exercise or with a change in your medicine.

I hope you can get the answers you're looking for. :grouphug:

Try getting your hands on a copy of Mary Shomon's book.

you will probably find it here as well as other info: http://thyroid.about.com/

And, I agree with the poster who said that the doctor has to look at your symptoms as well as at your numbers. My numbers are not spectacular, i.e., they would not jump out at any practitioner who looked at them and cause them to say 'OMG, how are you getting out of bed in the morning!'

But, I have Hashimoto's, and have been taking Armour Thyroid for 4 years now (and I feel ever so much better). If the doctor hadn't listened to my symptoms and had only read my numbers, he would have dismissed what I told him as my numbers are 'borderline.' Thankfully, he listened to me, prescribed appropriate meds, and he did everything that Shomon said he should.

TSH normal range was changed to .3 - 3.0 quite a few years ago. And everyone reacts differently than everyone else. For me, to be at 6.87 I would not be able to get out of bed! I can't even be at 3.0, I just get so drained. My optimal range is between .3 and 1.5. But that is me.

Your doctor should not only follow your lab numbers - he (or she) should listen to your symptoms and adjust accordingly. One of my biggest pet peeves when I am looking for a new doctor is if they are a slave to the numbers. I don't care what they are, if you don't feel your best then something should change - either on your end with diet and exercise or with a change in your medicine.

I hope you can get the answers you're looking for. :grouphug:

Maybe being in Canada they haven't changed the range yet? I'm tired. I've felt a little better since the days have gotten longer and I'm in the sun more, but that could be the vitamin d, who knows? I'm not sure if I should continue with naturopathic care, or make the plunge and insist on conventional treatment. I've gained tons of weight, but I also know I'm not eating properly...once I get tired I tend to go for the high energy crap foods and then it snowballs. Right now I've gained 15 lbs from Sept to Jan, and tried my best to maintain that weight gain and not gain any more. Even then, I'm not 30lbs overweight. Sigh.

if my TSH was at this level I'd be sleeping all day, crabby, and gaining weight by the hour!

Oh ya, that's me. I really don't want to do anything...not plan for school, not menu plan, not shop. Or I'll do something like mow the lawn, then come in and have a rest. It's mentally tiring having no energy because I'm an organized person...and I'm not feeling organized. Plus, now that the older two are almost 13 and 11, they really "feel" my lack of energy. It's affecting everyone, not just me.

Gaining 15 lb. in 4 months, feeling so tired it affects your entire family, raised TSH... if it were me, I'd be asking to see an endocrinologist. I think 10.1 for Free T-4 is considered bang-on normal, but I know I feel sluggish and terrible if it's that low, and actually feel more like myself in the low teens. Low thyroid is something that ideally is pretty treatable, so I wouldn't suffer needlessly. The doctors absolutely need to take your symptoms into account, along with the numbers.

My .02.

Gaining 15 lb. in 4 months, feeling so tired it affects your entire family, raised TSH... if it were me, I'd be asking to see an endocrinologist. I think 10.1 for Free T-4 is considered bang-on normal, but I know I feel sluggish and terrible if it's that low, and actually feel more like myself in the low teens. Low thyroid is something that ideally is pretty treatable, so I wouldn't suffer needlessly. The doctors absolutely need to take your symptoms into account, along with the numbers.

My .02.

Thanks a million for the advice (keeping with your .02 money-theme). Ya, cheesy. The hypothyroid didn't take away my sense of humour, though it did my svelte body. ;)

I DO NOT understand how labs can have the reference ranges off for something like this. I just pulled my last bloodwork out, done in Oct. (BTW, I am convinced I have hypothyroid based on symptoms). My TSH was 3.94 but they have the reference range listed as .4-4.50. How is it possible that the lab still has it wrong, so therefore the doctor also dismisses it?!

:grouphug: I hope you get some answers soon! I know I am going to pursue help.

I DO NOT understand how labs can have the reference ranges off for something like this. I just pulled my last bloodwork out, done in Oct. (BTW, I am convinced I have hypothyroid based on symptoms). My TSH was 3.94 but they have the reference range listed as .4-4.50. How is it possible that the lab still has it wrong, so therefore the doctor also dismisses it?!

Each lab has their own reference ranges. You can't necessarily compare tests performed at different labs.

I was talking to my friend, also the lady that got me into running, the other day, and she was saying that her TSH level was 14! I can't IMAGINE how she's been feeling!

did they do an antibodies test? If you have antibodies, then you have Hashimoto's and definately need treatment. I hope that you can get some answers and I hope that you feel better quickly!

I'm not sure. This bloodwork was just normal stuff and she added the T3 and T4 testing. Do you know what it would say on the bloodwork if they tested for antibodies (other than the obvious "antibodies!!!")?

My thyroid was tested (and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's) approx 4 years ago.

Last year, I began seeing a naturopath in addition to the MD who handles the thyroid and other stuff. The naturopath could not have been more impressed with my MD for testing for thyroid antibodies. The naturopath had my blood tests results for two years in front of him and he told me that my results were SO

'low/normal', most MDs would not have paid any attention to them and would have been dismissive of my other symptoms.

That being said, I am SO thankful that the MD did pay attention, because I didn't know anything about thyroid disease at this point, and if he had told me there was nothing wrong with my thyroid, I would have probably accepted that.

So - go on out there and be your own advocate. HTH:)

My thyroid was tested (and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's) approx 4 years ago.

Last year, I began seeing a naturopath in addition to the MD who handles the thyroid and other stuff. The naturopath could not have been more impressed with my MD for testing for thyroid antibodies. The naturopath had my blood tests results for two years in front of him and he told me that my results were SO

'low/normal', most MDs would not have paid any attention to them and would have been dismissive of my other symptoms.

That being said, I am SO thankful that the MD did pay attention, because I didn't know anything about thyroid disease at this point, and if he had told me there was nothing wrong with my thyroid, I would have probably accepted that.

So - go on out there and be your own advocate. HTH:)

How are you finding the two doctors working together? I assume you're taking a conventional med like Synthroid...is what the ND doing compatible with the conventional doc?

How are you finding the two doctors working together? I assume you're taking a conventional med like Synthroid...is what the ND doing compatible with the conventional doc?

Actually (and this speaks to how wonderful my regular MD is), I was put on Armour Thyroid when the test results came in four years ago -- as opposed to Synthroid which is what most practitioners would have done.

My ND is SO impressed with the fact that I was already on Armour thyroid, he was almost speechless.

The ND does immune system support and general energy issues. He is expen$ive but I do try to see him four times a year.

IMO, through none of my own doing, I have actually found an ND and an MD who work amazingly well together. That may possibly be b/c the ND is in a decades-old practice with an older MD who is well-respected and well-known around here. And, again totally by accident, I happened to get an appointment (four years ago) in a very large practice with an MD who has a holistic/naturopathic bent.

ETA: Armour Thyroid is easily available in Canada, in fact, I fax my script to a pharmacy in Canada as there have been all sorts of issues with Armour Thyroid being unavailable in the states for the past year.

Actually (and this speaks to how wonderful my regular MD is), I was put on Armour Thyroid when the test results came in four years ago -- as opposed to Synthroid which is what most practitioners would have done.

My ND is SO impressed with the fact that I was already on Armour thyroid, he was almost speechless.

The ND does immune system support and general energy issues. He is expen$ive but I do try to see him four times a year.

IMO, through none of my own doing, I have actually found an ND and an MD who work amazingly well together. That may possibly be b/c the ND is in a decades-old practice with an older MD who is well-respected and well-known around here. And, again totally by accident, I happened to get an appointment (four years ago) in a very large practice with an MD who has a holistic/naturopathic bent.

ETA: Armour Thyroid is easily available in Canada, in fact, I fax my script to a pharmacy in Canada as there have been all sorts of issues with Armour Thyroid being unavailable in the states for the past year.

I've been doing some research (pre-appointment, so I'm armed and ready!) regarding Armour Thyroid vs. Synthroid. Can you put it in plain terms why the AT is better than Synthroid?

I'm so glad for you that you've found two people that can work hand in hand for your wellness! Thankfully here I've got some coverage for my ND, so I'm super glad for that!

I've been doing some research (pre-appointment, so I'm armed and ready!) regarding Armour Thyroid vs. Synthroid. Can you put it in plain terms why the AT is better than Synthroid?

I'm so glad for you that you've found two people that can work hand in hand for your wellness! Thankfully here I've got some coverage for my ND, so I'm super glad for that!

The first place I learned about Armour Thyroid was in Mary Shomon's book - and that was when I realized how fortunate I was that my MD had prescribed it.

Here are some links about it - as I said, you won't have any difficulty getting it in Canada. In fact, I just got off the phone with my MDs office asking them to fax my prescription to NW Phar in Canada as I need refills.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/thyroiddrugs/l/blletter.htm

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/endocrinology/a/antibodies.htm

http://www.endocrineweb.com/community/general-discussion/1288/armour-thyroid-vs-synthroid

http://www.netwellness.uc.edu/question.cfm/24516.htm

http://www.drlowe.com/QandA/askdrlowe/armourthyroid.htm

http://www.nature-throid.com/vs.asp

I am trying to remember what Shomon wrote in her book (it was a while ago that read it or even referred to it) -- I think it has something to do with Synthroid 'shutting down' one's thyroid and Armour doesn't do that. Not entirely certain, but that seems to stick in my mind.

Edited by MariannNOVA
to add one more link

T

I am trying to remember what Shomon wrote in her book (it was a while ago that read it or even referred to it) -- I think it has something to do with Synthroid 'shutting down' one's thyroid and Armour doesn't do that. Not entirely certain, but that seems to stick in my mind.

Thanks -- my local library has a few of her books so I'll get them out now, in time for my Monday appointment.