Menu

$5 (or less!) dinner challenge

starwarsmomma

Stripe, Thanks for posting that web site.... Yummy.

I am always looking for new ideas. I have learned so many new recipes since I got married 10 years ago and it is fun to play with new ones.

I can't believe I forgot to mention homemade waters. That is always better than Soda or the really sweet expensive juices from the store. You often only need a small amount of fruit to make flavored water. It is a perfect solution if you have some fruit that is very ripe and you don't want to end up tossing.

Another good thing to make, as someone mentioned, are enchiladas. They really are a good meal to make with left over meats or Cheese if it is on sale. You really don't need to top with cheese (grated cheese is not what usually tops them any how ;)), but if you prefer it just use a little. I is a good way to use tomatillos when they go on sale. mmmm yum. I am going to have to make some this week. I think I will go with red though.:tongue_smilie:

Danielle

Well, this is difficult. There is no way I could make the first meal you posted for less than $5 here in SoCal. I'm going to guess with this meal. Maybe it would cost you less since you obviously have lower food prices? This meal would cost me about $8 here, but it definitely feeds 6 people. Well, I might be able to keep it at $5 if I went with tuna instead.

1 lb whole wheat pasta

2 cans salmon in oil (tuna if you need to go cheaper)

3 Tbl of capers

(optional additions would be freshly squeezed lemon & shredded fresh Parmesan cheese).

1 bunch spinach (cheaper than bagged. Just wash it yourself)

1 tomato

1 thinly sliced red onion

Cook pasta. Toss pasta with salmon and oil. Sprinkle in capers. Serve with spinach salad.

Ok, rule for me, before rushing out to make a yummy sounding recipe - read it all the way thru. That said, dang, that's a good pasta even if you toss the pasta with the spinach, tomatoes and onion. Ummm, then you're on your own for a side. Thanks, Daisy. My kids and I loved this for lunch.

Another 5 dollar dinner - atichoke risotto - only non-meat meal my dh will eat happily.

2 C. rice (plain medium grain or brown rice if you prefer)

1 onion diced

3 c. garlic minced

Saute 2 minutes. Slowly add 3 1/2 to 4c. chicken or veg. broth stirring often. Stir in 1 t. of tumeric for color to the first cup of broth that you stir in.

When all liquid is absorbed, toss in 1 can artichoke quarters and/or sauteed mushrooms (We get huge bags of dried mushrooms from the Asian grocery. Very economical and tasty). Salt and pepper to taste. Top with grated parmesan if desired. I also throw in any leftover veg that we need to use up - spinach, peas, etc.

Ok, rule for me, before rushing out to make a yummy sounding recipe - read it all the way thru. That said, dang, that's a good pasta even if you toss the pasta with the spinach, tomatoes and onion. Ummm, then you're on your own for a side. Thanks, Daisy. My kids and I loved this for lunch.

LOL. I bet it would be yummy mixed together! My son would balk at the spinach in his pasta though. :D