Menu

Would you say Phonics Road is on level or above? (And also a ?? for PR2 users.)

HappyGrace

I have PR1 here and did the first 8 wks with ds7 in May (before we got knocked off track with dh's job loss-thankfully reemployed now!) Now ds will be going into 2nd grade in Sept so we'd be doing PR1 for most of 2nd grade. The program is a good fit and he likes it and is learning from it.

He pretty much can't spell anything but phonetically correct words, so level 1 is perfect, and I actually think the words in level 1 look more like 2nd grade words anyway, BUT am I right about that? (Ease my mind, please!:)) Has anyone compared it to other spelling programs as far as difficulty? I thought it looked harder than, say, what I remember of Spelling Workout at that level. (We do need to test in our state, so I need to keep him at grade level.) I can move a little more quickly through level 1 if I need to, but I'm hoping my hunch is right that it is above level, so I don't have to!

PR2 users, can you please give me some examples of the words in level 2 from the beginning, middle, and end of the book-that would help me to gauge difficulty too, thanks!

Words from PR 2:

leaving, earliest, church, flower, flour, however, recover, mountain, speak, spoke, spoken, brought, breakfast, teacher, sugar, sorry,cheerful, peaceful, mixture, measure, fourteen, sentence

Building Codes cover: compound words, homophones, days of the week (and how they were named), suffixes, cursive handwriting instruction,

Framing Codes cover: adjectives, helping verbs, linking verbs, prepositions, pronouns, tense, grammar review framing codes and diagraming original sentences.

The Lit study looks *amazing* too. I've watched the first 6 weeks of PR 2 videos and can't wait to get started!!! Hopefully just a few weeks and we'll be ready!

I am going to say PR's spelling is above grade level. My boys are doing PR 1 and they are 7, and 10... the 10 yr old is still picking up things from this level. I love the depth of Phonics Road. My boys are learning more than they ever have with Spelling, and the hows and whys of the English language.

I cannot wait to start PR 2.

I can't say above or below other lists, but I can say as a whole, I find the program approaches challenging material in a student-friendly way that encourages retention; unlike other programs I've used that I felt relied heavily on memorization and practice. I find PR is excellent via application as opposed to a ton of practice where the dc memorize the "formula," if you will, but don't perhaps see the application. There is plenty to do, but never overkill; and retention has been fantastic.

After using PR1 and 2 twice over (almost finished with my 2nd round of PR2,anyways), I'd say it is definitely about LEVEL and not about grade; i.e. PR2 would be sufficient for 3rd and PR3 is fine for 4th grade. My 5th grader will be doing just fine in level 4 (which we'll get to shortly) and I won't have a problem if she doesn't finish it until some time in 6th grade.

So, after reading over my post, I can conclude that yes, I find the program as a whole to be what some may consider "advanced," but moreso b/c each level is like a volume, rather than a traditionally labeled text book, designed for an individual grade.

p.s. I wanted to add that I am impressed with the decoding abilities of my 2 little guys who are midway through PR2. They are really reading some big words in their books already this year and I see them apply PR to decode. It's pretty cool to watch!

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Thanks, Lovebaby! Were those from the end or beginning or what?

Those look harder than you'd find in most 2nd grade spelling programs, right?

Those words were from beginning to end, in order. I just flipped through a few weeks at a time and wrote down a handful of words.

Thanks so much for answering!! I feel much better now about having him do PR1 for most of 2nd grade. I'll be fine with him doing the PR2 words as listed by Lovebaby for end of 2nd and into 3rd grade.

Like Tina said, the application with this program is the key, and I do see that happening here! Thanks again!