Menu

The new Time Travelers cd, Industrial Revolution - the Great Depression, is out!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Is this project on the DVDs themselves or is it something separate? We already did the Civil War, but I'd like to make a note of it for 8th grade. I loved the book we ended up using as our spine--Two Miserable Presidents--but everything else we did was so hodge-podge. Not bad exactly, but heavy reading w/ little hands-on.

I offered to make my kids CW uniforms, but they weren't interested. :001_huh: So I dodged that project! :lol: I mean...I want them to want to, but...I want my mom to come make them. Hehehe. She would, too...:auto:

If you go to the link I gave you, on the left -hand side you will see classroom activities listed under "In the Classroom." There are several different projects to choose from and everything you need is right there. This is an awesome use of primary source material and is ideal for 7th-9th grade; however, there was a thread a couple of days ago with posters who had younger children that enjoyed it. All of the story is told through black and white photos being pieced together interspersed with interviews with historians and writers like Shelby Foote. I thought the format would get old but it didn't and my son loved it. He went on to read some books by Foote as part of a research project.

PBS has some great classroom work along with Nova. Don't forget to check them out when making your plans. We'll be using the Vikings program and related projects this year.

Oh, Sheinkin's books are great, aren't they? You know, he has two more in the series. Maybe you could work Which Way to the Wild West into your Native American study. :)

I've got it sitting right here by the computer--we're only a couple of ch's in, but I love this guy's stuff! :001_smile:

If you go to the link I gave you, on the left -hand side you will see classroom activities listed under "In the Classroom." There are several different projects to choose from and everything you need is right there. This is an awesome use of primary source material and is ideal for 7th-9th grade; however, there was a thread a couple of days ago with posters who had younger children that enjoyed it. All of the story is told through black and white photos being pieced together interspersed with interviews with historians and writers like Shelby Foote. I thought the format would get old but it didn't and my son loved it. He went on to read some books by Foote as part of a research project.

PBS has some great classroom work along with Nova. Don't forget to check them out when making your plans. We'll be using the Vikings program and related projects this year.

Oops. I either didn't notice the link or assumed it was just for the videos. :001_unsure:

Thank you, though--this looks awesome! I *wish* I'd seen it earlier...although...my kids are younger & sensitive, so maybe it's better to save. :001_smile:

Hmmm.... I was planning to do five Time Travelers cds this year, spending 7 weeks on each cd, as the main history curriculum for my 4th grader. Am I biting off more than we can chew?

Hi Greta!

Do you have the CDs yet? If you don't, on the website you can see a list of lessons/projects for each CD. It is in the lesson samples, I think.

That might give you a better idea of how to pace yourself.

HTH!

Thanks - I haven't gone to the link yet, in fact, I have only literally in the past hour, firmed up what I will be planning (I work best under PRESSURE - TONS OF PRESSURE -- like an oyster, I think). I will be checking this out later today.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Love all his books!

OK, true confessions... I have been thiiiiiiis close to e-mailing him directly at least three times, to implore him to write a complete American history volume (up to present times, which is what we're severely lacking) for the younger set. I still might do it. It wouldn't be ready for my kids but lots moving up would benefit. :001_smile:

Do you know he used to be a textbook writer? My favorite part of his books is the very first page, where he writes about that and then adds, "Over the years, I secretly stashed away all the stories I wasn't allowed to use in the textbooks. I kept telling myself, 'One of these days I'm going to write my own history books! And I'll pack them with all the true stories and real quotes that textbooks never tell you!'" I love it!

OK, true confessions... I have been thiiiiiiis close to e-mailing him directly at least three times, to implore him to write a complete American history volume (up to present times, which is what we're severely lacking) for the younger set. I still might do it. It wouldn't be ready for my kids but lots moving up would benefit. :001_smile:

Do you know he used to be a textbook writer? My favorite part of his books is the very first page, where he writes about that and then adds, "Over the years, I secretly stashed away all the stories I wasn't allowed to use in the textbooks. I kept telling myself, 'One of these days I'm going to write my own history books! And I'll pack them with all the true stories and real quotes that textbooks never tell you!'" I love it!

.....and you haven't emailed him yet WHY...............?:toetap05:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
.....and you haven't emailed him yet WHY...............?:toetap05:

To do list...way too long... Plus, I'm not particularly comfortable in the role of rabid fan. :tongue_smilie: I'll have to work on that and get to it. I have considered writing the suggestion in a review of his three history books on Amazon. I'm sure he reads reviews!

To do list...way too long... Plus, I'm not particularly comfortable in the role of rabid fan. :tongue_smilie: I'll have to work on that and get to it. I have considered writing the suggestion in a review of his three history books on Amazon. I'm sure he reads reviews!

I read those - I find them incredibly helpful.:001_smile:

Edited by MariannNOVA

Write it & then make it a petition--I'd sign! :001_smile:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Write it & then make it a petition--I'd sign! :001_smile:

OK. I am going to do it. I like him. He'll view it as a compliment, even if he can't do it. This is worth 3 minutes and 47 seconds of your life to learn to like him even more.

I got my new cd in the mail today and my computer won't read it. Poor, poor me. :nopity: I need a new laptop...or DH to hurry up and come home.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

OK. I am going to do it. I like him. He'll view it as a compliment, even if he can't do it. This is worth 3 minutes and 47 seconds of your life to learn to like him even more.

I got my new cd in the mail today and my computer won't read it. Poor, poor me. :nopity: I need a new laptop...or DH to hurry up and come home.

WalMart - Acer laptop - $295.00 ;)

I watched it. *sigh* If *he* would write a history curric for us, we'd be such lucky hs'ers! I've only read the CW one, but I *know* the generals now, & the guy writing the books is right--it's because of the funny little stories that I can remember who's who, & then the whole big pic hangs together better.

I had to read this part 3x before I realized what CD you were talking about. Then I bumped into the title of the thread. :lol:

Hi Greta!

Do you have the CDs yet? If you don't, on the website you can see a list of lessons/projects for each CD. It is in the lesson samples, I think.

That might give you a better idea of how to pace yourself.

HTH!

Thanks for the tip! I only own three of the cds so far. I'll have to check out the other two on the website.

You guys are really inspiring me to create my own version of the 2nd half of US History!

Great ideas and fantastic resources.....keep 'em coming!

I have Core 4 from SL (got it used), but I have found we tweak Sonlight so much to the point that it isn't really SL anymore! I have toyed with just getting the WP exclusives and using the library, but now I see that their American Culture program doesn't use the Time Travelers CDs and my kids have already asked if they can continue those as far as they go.

So, using HSTW TT as my spine, picking and choosing SL Core 4 books, and many of the resources mentioned here.....we should have a pretty rich and memorable year!

Thank you!~,

Dawn