Menu

It's here!!!!

TXMary2

Have fun! I got DE only ( Y3) I've been printing like crazy! Only unit 4 to go !!!! Gonna be a fun year.

I am discovering that I will still be printing (SAP's) because there is no way we are writing on these pretty pages! LOL

I am also getting the feeling that it might take us longer than 8 weeks to get through this first unit.:tongue_smilie: I am going to try and behave myself and not choose too much, but there is so much meat it is hard to decide!!! It is especially tempting with my older ds since he will only go through the TOG cycle once.

I am discovering that I will still be printing (SAP's) because there is no way we are writing on these pretty pages! LOL

I am also getting the feeling that it might take us longer than 8 weeks to get through this first unit.:tongue_smilie: I am going to try and behave myself and not choose too much, but there is so much meat it is hard to decide!!! It is especially tempting with my older ds since he will only go through the TOG cycle once.

I remember well the excitement of that first TOG package. Congratulations!!!

Yes, do print the SAP's from your Loom disc. That is one of the reasons for having the Loom. :)

As to content, even though it seems like a whole lot at first, just keep plugging away. My dd read, and read and read during the first unit of YR1 last year, but she learned sooooooooo much and I have been completely impressed by how much she's retained and understands.

Blessings,

Lucida

Hence my extended schedule.

I remember well the excitement of that first TOG package. Congratulations!!!

Yes, do print the SAP's from your Loom disc. That is one of the reasons for having the Loom. :) Took me 3 years to figure that out :glare:

As to content, even though it seems like a whole lot at first, just keep plugging away. My dd read, and read and read during the first unit of YR1 last year, but she learned sooooooooo much and I have been completely impressed by how much she's retained and understands.

Blessings,

Lucida

Me too. I've never seen such retention anywhere else, save math :)

Tina, how long do you take to do one unit? Have you blogged about how you do this?

I have blogged the schedule. Here it is. If you'd like a copy in MSWord, just email me, I'd be happy to share.

Most units have 9 weeks in them, so we spend 3 calendar weeks per 2-TOG weeks...that's 13.5 weeks per unit. We only finish 3 units per year, but we are not stressed, rushed, retain greatly, I have time to plan and teach, and we really utilize the fullness of the program by incorporating outlining, summarizing, writing assignments, lectures, and solid discussions for history, lit, and church history.

There are some weeks we combine to keep in a 36 week cycle (great suggestions for combining on the TOG Loop) and we do lots of projects, so we can enjoy exciting Unit Celebrations with local TOG friends.

For lower grammar, it allows a lot of time for projects and continued study. Honestly, if I'm rushed, projects are dropped, so having the ease of a slower pace ensures I'll offer projects for the Little League and it allows us to read more from great spines I like to use:

How Children Lived by Rice

In the Beginning, The Nearly Complete history of Almost Everything by Delf

2 books on Presidents, DK Eyewitness and the Big Book of US Presidents by Sherrow

A Young Persons Guide to Philosophy by Weate

and a couple of different Atlases to increase Geography fun

American History in Verse by Stevenson

All the extra books are certainly not necessary, but since the little guys are waiting on the Elders, why not? I consider the 3rd week a "whatever you want to do, Tina" week. That might mean those books above, it might mean a lapbook, or it might mean a heavy week of science and no extra history other than reading through their notebooks every day.

So, the LG students follow this daily schedule:

Mon: history read aloud; vocab look up; independent reading

Tues: literature read aloud; geography; independent reading

Wed: lit worksheet; geography workbook; independent reading

Thurs: activities; independent reading

Fri: vocab test/game; geo test/game; independent reading.

We use some form of writing (copy work, dictation, narration, summary) to create a page on the main topic, one famous person, and something cultural. How much we write will depend on how much written work they have for science and language arts, so I don't overwhelm them. I like to use their notebook pages in some form to incorporate into lapbooks.

Hope I'm not being overwhelming. I'm so sorry if I am.

I have blogged the schedule. Here it is. If you'd like a copy in MSWord, just email me, I'd be happy to share.

Most units have 9 weeks in them, so we spend 3 calendar weeks per 2-TOG weeks...that's 13.5 weeks per unit. We only finish 3 units per year, but we are not stressed, rushed, retain greatly, I have time to plan and teach, and we really utilize the fullness of the program by incorporating outlining, summarizing, writing assignments, lectures, and solid discussions for history, lit, and church history.

There are some weeks we combine to keep in a 36 week cycle (great suggestions for combining on the TOG Loop) and we do lots of projects, so we can enjoy exciting Unit Celebrations with local TOG friends.

For lower grammar, it allows a lot of time for projects and continued study. Honestly, if I'm rushed, projects are dropped, so having the ease of a slower pace ensures I'll offer projects for the Little League and it allows us to read more from great spines I like to use:

How Children Lived by Rice

In the Beginning, The Nearly Complete history of Almost Everything by Delf

2 books on Presidents, DK Eyewitness and the Big Book of US Presidents by Sherrow

A Young Persons Guide to Philosophy by Weate

and a couple of different Atlases to increase Geography fun

American History in Verse by Stevenson

All the extra books are certainly not necessary, but since the little guys are waiting on the Elders, why not? I consider the 3rd week a "whatever you want to do, Tina" week. That might mean those books above, it might mean a lapbook, or it might mean a heavy week of science and no extra history other than reading through their notebooks every day.

So, the LG students follow this daily schedule:

Mon: history read aloud; vocab look up; independent reading

Tues: literature read aloud; geography; independent reading

Wed: lit worksheet; geography workbook; independent reading

Thurs: activities; independent reading

Fri: vocab test/game; geo test/game; independent reading.

We use some form of writing (copy work, dictation, narration, summary) to create a page on the main topic, one famous person, and something cultural. How much we write will depend on how much written work they have for science and language arts, so I don't overwhelm them. I like to use their notebook pages in some form to incorporate into lapbooks.

Hope I'm not being overwhelming. I'm so sorry if I am.

Thank you. I will email you!