Menu

MFW hs with a Progeny Press guide

Is this a bad idea? I would like to do a Progeny Press guide (we've never done one before) with my 10th and 8th graders. 10th grader will be doing MFW WHL and 8th and 5th dds will be doing MOH2 (Medieval). I've tried to continue read-alouds with all 3 dc (I miss having ds "with us" as we used to more of the day). Any suggestions for a PP guide for a medieval read-aloud? Thanks so much!

hmm.... my oldest is currently in MFW's AHL, so I don't know a lot about WHL yet. But we've done MFW for a long time and we've done some Progeny Press guides.

hmm... your post looked lonely, so I'll ramble a bit and hopefully someone with some real ideas can help.

My first thought was to pick a book that is part of the WHL program, but then I saw the reason that you want to do this is to have the family together. So, I'm not sure if that's a great idea to pick a high school book for 5th and 8th and 10th. If the idea is to have everyone together, then picking a MIddle School book from PP list will be fine.

Your 10th grader may not have to do any of the PP guide since that student will have plenty of reading comprehension and English in MFW WHL. You just want the older one around to hang out.

so.. middle school, with medieval read aloud theme

http://www.progenypress.com/Catalog/middleschool.html

uh...maybe Crispin:Cross of Lead? (haven't read it, but that's at least showing as set in the 1500's)

The other idea is to just pick a book from the middle school PP list and use one that will be fun for your family even if it doesn't relate to history study. ;)

-crystal

We did MFW AH&L last year. There is no time and no need for a PP guide. All the books that dd read were covered very thoroughly. To have added a separate guide would have been overkill.

I can understand you wanting to keep the kids together for something. Last year was the first year the my dd was not with us. I would find something else to accomplish this goal, though. MFW is a pretty big load in and of itself.

Thanks for the replies. You two have helped me - esp. with settling my anxious heart that MFW is "enough." Sometimes I think I'm the worst candidate for hsing because it's so hard to gauge if we're doing what we need to do, and there's always going to be others who do more school than we're even doing. I just realized today (after 10 years at this) that having my kids tested on some standardized tests would really help me. Maybe it's sad that I need that "validation" that they are doing okay (our state of WI has no testing/consultation) but it could set me free. :)

Just wanted to put a plug in for PP's Poetry guide. It uses 3 small poetry books and is great for a semester course on poetry for a supplement to a lit program. We did it at the same time as a short story unit for a break from Great Books--we did Early Mods the second semester.