Menu

Any advice re: 6.5 y/o developmentally delayed w/o additional diagnosis and school.

• 2 weeks later...

Since he's on his own timeline developmentally..... he's probably just not ready to read yet. I would just keep reviewing what he's got (so it doesn't escape) and put NO PRESSURE AT ALL to go farther. Work on something else - I Spy type books, jigsaw puzzles with letters or words, writing in sand or making clay letters - all the things that he CAN do now. And if it helps with his fine motor skills, so much the better.

Reading really is a developmental skill and it sounds like you are doing all the right things so far. Just give him a little more time - I will say that the majority of 1st graders here do not read CVC words at the beginning of the year. Slow and steady wins the race in this situation.

If you want a full workup/diagnosis, etc. you might be able to have a neurologist request testing due to the hypotonia (they might call it hypotonic CP for lack of a better term and insurances like CP). That might get you services, etc. as well if you want them.

For reading, nothing beats the I See Sam books for struggling kids. Only 5 sounds and 3 words to learn and they can read the 1st 2 books all on their own. http://www.iseesam.com and http://www.3rsplus.com There is even a place you can print off the first 2 sets for free.

For math, Touch Math or Christian Light math might be good. My daughter also did well with ACE once she learned to read some with the I See Sam books.

[

My son learned to read with the Scottish Rite program. It is more expensive, but you can order the older version from EPS. The older version also has videos you can watch separately or together. If you are anywhere near a Scottish Rite Clinic or hospital (or are willing to travel to one) you can have your child evaluated for free and then receive the program for free.

Have you had his vision checked to make sure he is tracking properly. Vision therapy worked a miracle with my son last year as far as tracking and depth issues. I found my therapist thru covd.org. However, my dd also has vision issues from prematurity but her tracking isn't bad enough to qualify for VT yet.

If he is stuck, can you also take time to teach him some of the sight words on the Fry list? If he can eventually read all the words on that list, he will be able to read 65% of the print available (according to the private tutor we hired for our son last year). She uses the Fry list along with the Scottish Rite material.

We used Rod and Staff math along with MUS in the first grade. It was a nice change while still practicing the same skills.