Menu

AP Government- two students

I had a thought (always dangerous) at dinner the other night. For the 2011-2012 school year, I was going to break with TOG for my oldest who would be 11th grade and do AP Government. Then I thought... well, my other boy who would be 9th and LOVES history and is a voracious reader ( doing rhetoric TOG this year as an 8th) could do it at the same time. Then I could do Texas history with my then 4th grade girl.

Now, here is my question. Here in Texas, government is a semester course with economics being the other semester. However, when I look at PA homeschoolers, it looks like AP Government is a whole year. Also, could I just register my oldest and then do the 9th grader myself (I understand he wouldn't get credit through PA homeschoolers.) or would it be better for the interaction for him to do the course as well? If so, has anyone had two students enrolled in a single class for PA homeschoolers and how would that work??

Yes, we just started our school year last week and I'm already thinking about next year.:tongue_smilie: Someone should commit me.

Christine

I've no experience with the PA Homeschoolers's Government class, but I wanted to say that my daughter took an out of the home AP Comparative Government and Politics class. While some schools do this in one semester, her particular class was year long and worthy of the one credit I gave it. None of the colleges commented on it.

Regards,

Kareni

However, when I look at PA homeschoolers, it looks like AP Government is a whole year. Also, could I just register my oldest and then do the 9th grader myself (I understand he wouldn't get credit through PA homeschoolers.) or would it be better for the interaction for him to do the course as well? If so, has anyone had two students enrolled in a single class for PA homeschoolers and how would that work?

My ds took the PA Homeschoolers US Govt class last year. The instructor is very warm and kind. She or the Richmans might be willing to give you a multi-student discount. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

The AP Govt class is a LOT of work -- definitely a year-long course, worthy of a full credit. I think your 9th grader could just do the work on a parallel track, following the syllabus and completing the assignments for you. What would be missing would be the essay assessments. But really, you could grade those. The essays come from past exams, and the rubrics are on the College Board/AP Central website. it seems like a great opportunity for your kids to benefit from at-home discussion and debate.