Menu

Anyone here a dietician? What is the job like?

I am considering a job change. I have worked in pharmacy for 10+ years, but am ready for a change. I like my job, but since it has no opportunity for job growth within my company (I have done the same job for 10 years :001_huh:), the hours are getting later into the night as pharmacies are open until 9pm and later, and my back issue making it harder to do my job....I am considering a career change. I have 90+ college credits but, they are so old I don't think they would be worth much, so I figure I will have to start over. Dd11 has applied for a scholarship to private school this year, and if she gets in, I am considering going to school myself.

I have always been interested in how food affects our health. If this is a viable career, I am considering specializing in diabetes and trying to find a position that will allow me to work in this specific area (as well as others). I think that my understanding of the pharmaceutical part of diabetes will be a good combination.

What kind of education does one need? How would I go about finding out more information and possibly a job shadow opportunity? What are the income opportunities? Any other information is appreciated.

I'm not, but my MIL is. She works freelance, but she's never had trouble finding enough contracts for the hours she wants to work at any given time. If anything, it seems she has more work opportunities than she can accept. I don't know the details, but I'm under the impression her hourly rate is pretty high.

She works with residential institutions (hospitals, nursing homes, boarding schools for troubled kids).

I can't remember the exact name of her B.S. degree (and it very well could have changed in the intervening years), but I've heard her comment more than once about people being surprised at how much science is required for the degree.

My mom is a dietician and loves it. She's been working in the field for almost 30 years.

Currently, and for about 14 of the past 20 years she has worked for WIC.

Hospital work is hard and the hours stink, but the work is varied.

My mom has a BS in biology (I think) and a Masters in (insert some word here-- it isn't the current term). Were I you, and I'm assuming you have at least a BS already, I would gather your school transcripts and your employment history and take that to the school you are thinking of attending. Also, you should check the ADA (American Dietetic Association) website, I'm sure they have information.

Good luck!

Kris