Menu

Finding Apologia in or around Portland, OR...

HSMom2One

If you were interested in looking at Apologia science curriculum in person and wanted to compare the various textbooks and materials, but were not able to go to the HS conventions -- where would you go to find them in the Portland Metro area? Exodus Bookstore is the only place I can think of. Is there any other store that carries the Apologia line?

Thanks for helping me out here!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm assuming you tried Powell's? I would call or check online.

I did check after you posted, but my gut feeling was that they do not carry books by this publisher and I believe I am right. Powells is VERY secular and Apologia is VERY Christian with a creation based viewpoint.

Thanks anyway! :~)

Blessings,

Lucinda

What are you wanting to look at specifically? I have some of their books and will be in your next of the woods in the next couple of weeks probably.

That is mighty thoughtful of you, Debbie! We were wanting to look at pretty much all of them though....elementary through high school. :001_huh:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Somewhat OT:

I did check after you posted, but my gut feeling was that they do not carry books by this publisher and I believe I am right. Powells is VERY secular and Apologia is VERY Christian with a creation based viewpoint.
We're usually at COB once a week and I've seen all manner of materials there over the years. However, there usually isn't much at any given time, and almost all of the curricular material is used. I suspect this is because you get far better resale value online than they selling used at Powell's. A few exceptions like SOTW are sold new, but that's it. I don't think it's anything to do Powell's being "secular." That made me scratch my head a bit, given the sheer volume of religious materials they carry.

Somewhat OT:

We're usually at COB once a week and I've seen all manner of materials there over the years. However, there usually isn't much at any given time, and almost all of the curricular material is used. I suspect this is because you get far better resale value online than they selling used at Powell's. A few exceptions like SOTW are sold new, but that's it. I don't think it's anything to do Powell's being "secular." That made me scratch my head a bit, given the sheer volume of religious materials they carry.

Thanks for sharing your experience with buying materials at Powell's. I guess I based my comments on how tough it was finding things at Powell's in the past. I'm from this area, and while I was in college in the late 80's and 90's, there was a strong bias there toward very liberal, secular materials. Obviously, by what you've shared, they have become a bit more broad in their offerings. That's good to know!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Have you tried Kingfisher Curriculum? Their web site carries Apologia. You might be able to see it in the store as well.

I just talked to them and they said they do carry pretty much all of the books, so thanks again for the tip.

BTW, have you ever been to their store? If so, do you know how it compares to the Exodus store?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Hope they have what you need.

Yes, and please give a report of the store... I haven't been yet either.

:001_smile:

That is mighty thoughtful of you, Debbie! We were wanting to look at pretty much all of them though....elementary through high school. :001_huh:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Not a problem, Lucinda...I stay with my best friend who lives in the same town. Easy peasy! But that other store sounds great...hope it has what you (we?!) need! Debbie

I like Kingfisher, though I can't compare as I've never been to Exodus. But when we were living on campus at Multnomah, I'd go down to Kingfisher to look around a lot. I was just in there about a month ago, and they have a good selection, of new and old. Although, I found it hard to find things. They were reorganizing while I was there, but it's still difficult to navigate. The owner is helpful and knowledgeable and her daughter, who works there is very sweet, but doesn't know her way around as much. But there is a lot to look at and her prices are decent.

I like Kingfisher, though I can't compare as I've never been to Exodus. But when we were living on campus at Multnomah, I'd go down to Kingfisher to look around a lot. I was just in there about a month ago, and they have a good selection, of new and old. Although, I found it hard to find things. They were reorganizing while I was there, but it's still difficult to navigate. The owner is helpful and knowledgeable and her daughter, who works there is very sweet, but doesn't know her way around as much. But there is a lot to look at and her prices are decent.

Now I'm really confused about whether I should go all the way over there or just go to Exodus! :lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda

I just talked to them and they said they do carry pretty much all of the books, so thanks again for the tip.

BTW, have you ever been to their store? If so, do you know how it compares to the Exodus store?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda,

Their website is awesome! They have multiple stores, without downtown being the largest. What you are going to need to do is look up each book, and then look over on the right side where it tells you which stores have the book. That way you can take inventory of which store would have the most books.

We end up at the Beaverton store about once a month, just for fun. :D

BTW I do own the Elementary Botany, Zoo 1, 2 and 3. I also have a general 2nd edition set that I will be selling.

Heather

p.s. I have also been to the downtown store quite a bit. It is very unique, has a bit of a beatnik feel, but is not uncomfortable. It is so large you can almost get lost.

Edited by siloam

Lucinda,

Their website is awesome! They have multiple stores, without downtown being the largest. What you are going to need to do is look up each book, and then look over on the right side where it tells you which stores have the book. That way you can take inventory of which store would have the most books.

We end up at the Beaverton store about once a month, just for fun. :D

BTW I do own the Elementary Botany, Zoo 1, 2 and 3. I also have a general 2nd edition set that I will be selling.

Heather

Hey Heather,

I'm glad you chimed in! I'm confused about which website and stores you are talking about. I thought KingFisher Cove is just one little store over on the east side. Please fill me in ASAP. I've been on my laptop all morning trying to find resources.

Wow! I should know next week which curriculum we'll be needing and would most definitely be interested in buying used books from you. Would you mind pm'ing me with prices?

Thanks and God bless,

Lucinda

Hey Heather,

I'm glad you chimed in! I'm confused about which website and stores you are talking about. I thought KingFisher Cove is just one little store over on the east side. Please fill me in ASAP. I've been on my laptop all morning trying to find resources.

Wow! I should know next week which curriculum we'll be needing and would most definitely be interested in buying used books from you. Would you mind pm'ing me with prices?

Thanks and God bless,

Lucinda

Sorry, Powells Books. I might have gotten confused as well because I was skimming again. Gets me in trouble every time. :001_huh:

The Apologia books are just a little too academic for my VSL learners. They need more big picture focused stuff or hands on.

I'll PM you, but probably not today. I refuse to get my act together on a Saturday. ;)

Heather

I used to frequent Kingfisher when we lived in Vancouver. I loved being able to peruse books in person. There's only so much you can get from on-line samples. It is small, but they carry a lot of the popular curriculum new. There's even more variety in the used section. I miss having a store like that. I go to Seattle more often now. They have a great store called Homeschool Potpouri, I think. It's much larger but carries more used than new. Anyway, happy shopping! We use Apologia Elementary and plan on using General Sci, Physical Sci, and Biology. I got all three at a used curriculum sale last summer. Home Science Tools has great supply kits for each book.