Menu

Primary Language lessons in 2nd grade

You can break up the dictation lessons over 2 days, or you can do less than all of the sentences. In the intro section of PLL it states that "it is not intended that each lesson shall represent one day's work. The teacher, knowing the capabilities of her pupils, can best determine the amount of work that should be done."

So, you can give word banks on tougher words like "squirrel" (lesson 2 dictation). They can do lesson 2 just copywork on one day and then the dictation portion on another day. If there is a word that you know they don't know how to spell, you can help on that word or have a word bank nearby.

Some students may not be ready for much dictation at the beginning of the year and you can flex and determine it based on their needs.

other kinds of lessons in PLL can be done orally, or you don't have to copy all lessons.

My kiddos weren't ready on lesson 2 to do that entire assignment in one shot.

-crystal

We are doing it this year (3rd). I bought it for 2nd grade, but decided to hold of on it until my dd was a little older. Now, with that being said, I plan on doing the vast majority of it orally. We will probably do the letter writing and envelope addressing and things like that though. We are already doing WWE, GWG, copywork for science and narration for history so this will be her "fun" work. Kwim?

When I used it with a 2nd grader, we did much of the early dictation as copywork - and only a bit of it. For example, with the squirrel dictation, I may have had my ds copy the first two sentences, not all. I may have had him work on that passage throughout the week, as part of his handwriting/copywork. Can't remember exactly, but I know I did this sort of thing throughout the book. Later, when it asks the child to write a composition, I had him dictate to me what he wanted to write, and I typed it up for him. He would then copy it, for 15 minutes or so a day, in nice handwriting to be put in his binder later. On those days, this was his handwriting and not his English work. FYI, I have another ds7 who will be starting 2nd grade soon, and I am not sure yet if I'll use PLL as I described, wait until midyear, or wait another year altogether. It is a lovely, but advanced program.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to great kids ages 7-19, schooling grades 2, 4, 4 and 7