Menu

Help with AOPS math sequence, please!

Hi everyone,

My son is young (10, going into 6th grade) and gifted in math. Last year he completed the Art of Problem Solving (AOPS) Algebra 1 (on our own) and LOF Algebra. I am debating what to do this year. He may be going to traditional school for grades 7-12, so I would like him to fit into the regular math sequence, and to take the AOPS online classes rather than completing them on our own, so that we have grades and documentation. My three options for sixth grade are:

1- Introduction to Number Theory and Introduction to Probability and Counting

2- Algebra 2 and Introduction to Number Theory (this option may induce boredom if he takes Algebra 2/Trig at school, unless the school's Algebra 2 is AOPS Algebra 3)

3- Introduction to Geometry

The charter school he may attend for 7-12 offers Algebra

1, Geometry, Algebra 2/Trig, Precalculus, AP Calculus, and AP Statistics. If he completes all of these courses, he may take additional math courses at a local college.

Any recommendations?

I would vote for Number Theory and Probability. Reasons:

1. AoPS Intro to Geometry is excellent, and known as the most challenging of their intro series (my son, who had done Jacobs Geometry several years earlier, worked through the Intro to Geometry book for fun while taking calculus, and he found plenty to challenge him). But if your son has to take geometry at school, you might run into the boredom problem you mentioned.

2. The Number Theory and Probability books (I can't speak to these particular classes, but we've never been disappointed with an AoPS class) are also excellent, and probably not topics your son will encounter much of in school.

3. If your son is interested in Mathcounts and the AMC exams, Number Theory and Probability will be immensely helpful.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices, though.

Edited by Belacqua
you is not the same as your

I'd highly recommend your Option 1 (and that's what AoPS recommends on their website), especially if you're thinking of using the charter school for his following years. Number theory and counting/probability are well worth studying, but sorely missing in the usual race-to-calculus school sequence. AoPS does a very nice job of presenting the material, too! :001_smile:

Option 2 -This would be my second choice. He would probably be bored in school algebra with this option. AoPS algebra 2 will take him through most of a traditional algebra two course. AoPS algebra 3 includes the advanced algebra portion of precalculus, and then some. It's very challenging!

Option 3 - Of all the intro courses, Intro to Geometry is the most challenging. I'd recommend waiting for this one.

~Kathy

Oops... I should also mention that he can test out of any of the charter school courses, so there is nothing restricting him from taking either Geometry or Algebra 2/Trig in seventh grade.

So far, option 1 looks like the way to go... Thanks for all of your quick replies!

:iagree:

What they say. :)

You could also toss in an AMC-8 class if your son plans to take that test in November.

PS My son did Number Theory, Counting and Probability and Geometry in one year but just the workbooks (all the problems, though). His high school does not allow testing out. If yours does, that's great! I wish ours would.

Edited by MBM
added a PS