Menu

ETC 7 and 8 -- worth doing or busywork? What comes next?

Mama2Three

I've been a big fan of the Explode the Code series. DS and DD started with the ABC books and are now on book 7 and 6, respectively. I'm not as crazy about the format of books 7 and 8, but I think that DS is still getting some benefit from the phonics (currently working on silent consonants). It feels a little more like busy work than really productive time. I'm not sure whether to plow through and do them more quickly, or whether to put them to the side and start something fresh.

Then the follow-up question is, what do you do next? I'm thinking about Megawords for phonics/spelling, plus something for root study like English from the Roots Up (doing 1-2 roots a week).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I was wondering the same thing ds 7 has gone through Phonics Pathways and ETC 4,5. He is also doing AAS with me. I have books 6-8 that I plan to use, but not sure he needs them. He is reading at about a 3rd-4th grade level. As of now he enjoys them and can do them independently so we will continue with them. ETC is one of the few workbooks we do. I also started him on Primary Language Lessons this year.

We stopped about midway through Book 5. It was obvious that DS had figured out most of the rules by that time. We just went on to readers and left out the other ETC books.

We are doing R&S reading this year along with Wordly Wise and Megawords. DS has learned the rest of the phonics rules from everyday reading and using context clues so he is ready for longer words/vocabulary development/reading comprehension.

I've been a big fan of the Explode the Code series. DS and DD started with the ABC books and are now on book 7 and 6, respectively. I'm not as crazy about the format of books 7 and 8, but I think that DS is still getting some benefit from the phonics (currently working on silent consonants). It feels a little more like busy work than really productive time. I'm not sure whether to plow through and do them more quickly, or whether to put them to the side and start something fresh.

Then the follow-up question is, what do you do next? I'm thinking about Megawords for phonics/spelling, plus something for root study like English from the Roots Up (doing 1-2 roots a week).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I answered this in "wranglers" thread. My 11 yo dd finsihed etc 6, but it is truly very easy for her, so we're moving on. Yes, it is busy work, but like you I believe they are wonderful supplements. She can knock out a dozen pages in a few minutes. It's a great car activity...maybe I'll keep 7 and 8.....:lol:

I answered this in "wranglers" thread. My 11 yo dd finsihed etc 6, but it is truly very easy for her, so we're moving on. Yes, it is busy work, but like you I believe they are wonderful supplements. She can knock out a dozen pages in a few minutes. It's a great car activity...maybe I'll keep 7 and 8.....:lol:

I can see some benefit so maybe I'll keep it for him to use outside of "real" school time, perhaps for car trips like sheryl suggested.

On to the next question... what do you go on to???