Menu

Right Start Math

Mom2J112903

Using Saxon currently, but seeking something more "visual" for my son. Not really certain if we want to change curricula *now* or use what we have and wait until we are done with Saxon1 to change. We REALLY like Saxon and the spiral approach, but need something more visual for J.

RS looks very interesting, but the price is stopping me. I spent *much* less on Saxon. DH agrees that the abacus method would most likely benefit J very well.

So, if you use RS Math, tell me the good, the bad, the ugly.

Has anyone ever switched from Saxon to RS?

Thank you in advance!!!!

RightStart is Asian math and conceptual. That's a good thing I think! It's especially good with place value I've been told. I like that the lessons are planned for me (no prep) and fast which helps my spectrum child who, um, lacks attention for anything not his special interests. He is not a game kid but his twin is and the games make math fun for that child.

I would like Rightstart, but can't afford it right now. So, I'm getting Activities for the AL Abacus for $20 and the Rightstart abacus for $10. There's also worksheets that go with it for another $20. I read that's it's more for a supplement and is not scripted. HTH!

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1280375584-1093952&subject=10&category=2373

Guest MidsummerNight

We love right start here. My main frustration with it is the slower pace of the program compared to other math programs. We just finished Right Start A and there was no subtraction! On the other hand my wiggly 5 year old is learning how to math problems in his head! He is not naturally mathy so I think it is the program. We don't play a lot of the games honestly, but the abacus is great!

I do Singapore MAth, but will add RS Activities and Worksheets for my second grader + Math card games. The levels - a, b, c, d actually are too slow for us. We also do the Abeka workbook to make sure the "american style" is added.

YOu might find used RS on homeschoolclassifieds.com

Using Saxon currently, but seeking something more "visual" for my son. Not really certain if we want to change curricula *now* or use what we have and wait until we are done with Saxon1 to change. We REALLY like Saxon and the spiral approach, but need something more visual for J.

RS looks very interesting, but the price is stopping me. I spent *much* less on Saxon. DH agrees that the abacus method would most likely benefit J very well.

So, if you use RS Math, tell me the good, the bad, the ugly.

Has anyone ever switched from Saxon to RS?

Thank you in advance!!!!

It is worth every penny here and then some.

My kids are hands on learners, they needed this approach. My oldest was 3rd grade when I started it, and she hated math. If you asked her what was her worst or least favorite subject there would be no hesitation: math! Now she doesn't love math, but she knows she is good at it (priceless). I just asked her what her least favorite subject is and her first response was, "Why you want to know?" She followed that up with CW Homer. I asked her, "Why not math?" and she answered that her math is really easy right now, but it would go back and forth between math and CW Homer depending on which was more difficult at the moment. I will take that over the adamant math answer any day.

If you decide you like RS and buy the reproducable CD, then you have a program with no reoccurring costs for kiddos following along. Given I have 4 kids that pays of in the long term. I can then sell the TM's as I finish using them, and later when I am done with all the levels I can sell the CD and manipulatives as well. Not a bad deal.

Heather

We switched from Saxon (which my then-ds7 hated) and used Transition through part of E with him (he's now 11). He didn't love RS but he tolerated it. I have since learned that he is a mastery kind of kid and does much better with mastery programs. Thus, after we stopped with E, we moved to MUS Epsilon (fractions).

We are currently using RS D with my dd9 after using MUS Delta and Gamma with her. We had done B through part of D with her when I switched both of them MUS. DD told me the other day she prefers RS, thus we are going to continue with D/E, while still using MUS Epsilon to solidify fractions (I think MUS Epsilon is genius for fractions...especially the fraction overlays.)

Here's what I would say now that we've done all this switching: I really believe RS is a superior foundation for the younger grades and I would start with RS and go through D and possibly E (if E came in 4th or 5th grade) before switching to anything else.

While doing MUS, we would constantly go back to the skills we learned in RS.

That is one of the strengths of RS in my opinion: Dr. Cotter lays out several different approaches to the same skill set and then your dc can decide which approach makes the most sense to them. My kids now each have different ways of doing the same problems because they were able to "test" out the different approaches and find what they liked the best.

Also the card games are great fun.

We did find that we needed to work more on math facts drill (I used to to be in the drill-and-kill-is-bad camp; now, not so much...I think it has it's place) and for a child who needs mastery, maybe supplementing with Math Mammoth or something would be very helpful.

But overall, I really see the genius in RS now that we are moving into other areas and don't think you would go wrong if you were to switch to it.

If you decide you like RS and buy the reproducable CD, then you have a program with no reoccurring costs for kiddos following along. Given I have 4 kids that pays of in the long term. I can then sell the TM's as I finish using them, and later when I am done with all the levels I can sell the CD and manipulatives as well. Not a bad deal.

Heather

J is a one and only kiddo, no more unless their is a miracle pregnancy (it really isn't possible for DH and I to have anymore children) so there would be no passing down of the materials.

I am not even sure I could sell my TM and manupulatives and not have to put a lot towards the entire kit for RS. I just can't keep putting $ into different things without knowing if it is a good match or not. We thought Saxon was it, and now we are doubting ourselves-don't want to do it again.

If you aren't sure you want to try RS (and it sounds like you aren't), I would go for something less pricey. There are lots of great math programs out there; I'm sure you can find something you like.

That said, we really liked RS for the elementary grades. DD started with A and just finished up D. I believe it is a challenging math program overall. We didn't supplement, though I suppose you could add in more word problems. DD will move into Teaching Textbooks 5 this fall.

J is a one and only kiddo, no more unless their is a miracle pregnancy (it really isn't possible for DH and I to have anymore children) so there would be no passing down of the materials.

I am not even sure I could sell my TM and manupulatives and not have to put a lot towards the entire kit for RS. I just can't keep putting $ into different things without knowing if it is a good match or not. We thought Saxon was it, and now we are doubting ourselves-don't want to do it again.

My big question would be is he a hands on learner? If he is then pretty much any manipulative based program is going to cost you relatively the same. I knew my kids were hands on learner, and I had already tried the cheapest hands on program, Miquon and my kids hated it. I knew I was facing spending big bucks no matter what.

I also had additional criteria in I knew I wanted something the explained why math works the way it does (thus I would never look at Saxon because it teachers formulas, not why) and I knew from our experience with Miquon that my kids didn't want a discovery based program. They don't want to figure it out on their own, they want direct, concrete instruction. Thus it was easy for me to eliminate Shiller Math because it is child led.

Another example that might help you figure out your path a little more. I am good at math, but no math genius. Mostly I love numbers. Went into accounting, if that tells you anything. :D Thus my doing Saxon in PS didn't hurt me at all. I just accepted their formulas and plugged the numbers in. I was playing with numbers as I love to do, so I didn't care why it worked. My dh on the other hand is a why guy. He also did Saxon in PS and struggled every step of the way, because when it gave him a formula, his first response was, "why?" He literally could not move forward till her figured out why, usually on his own. By that time the class was 2 topics ahead of him. Well you guess how that would turn out. He barely graduated, but despite that he did get his college degree later in life, and now counts in multiple math systems (hexidecimal, binary, base 10, ect...) on almost a daily basis for his job writing drivers that talk to hardware. In school he was unfairly labeled as bad at math, when in truth the exact opposite is true. He would figure it out on his own. He is very good at math, if you prove to him that it has to follow the established rules and not just expect him to accept it on blind faith.

Could your ds be a little like my dh? If so then you would want a program that targets why.

Once you refine what learning style he is and what type of program you want then I would start a new post on the topic.

Heather

I started RS and did A/B and some of C. I loved the program and how it taught but my girls just could not get the mental math and there just was not enough review. I spent too much time going back, redoing lessons and I just got too far behind. They are starting 3rd grade this fall and I think I am going to try CLE's math this fall. If you like the spiral/lots of review type format, take a look at it. You could always buy the games book and abacas from RS. It really depends on what kind of learner you have. My girls really need the review. Amy