Menu

I tried to sign my son up for a Mad Science class, but

this is the email I received.

Do I understand correctly that your son is homeschooled? If so, he likely won’t be able to attend the session at the Friends School. There is a note on our registration page that school classes are open only to those who attend a particular school. From our perspective, it doesn’t matter much, but we’ve found that the majority of our schools do not wish to allow non-enrolled students to be a part of their Mad Science classes. We have not specifically discussed the policy with Friends School, but I suspect they’ll follow the same procedure.

I do want to let you know, however, that we are planning to run a class for home schoolers specifically. It will be held during the normal school day, likely on Thursdays in Virginia Beach. We are still working out details on dates and location, but hope to start it up around 1 May and run for 6 weeks.

Interesting is all I have to say.

It sounds like it is a school program, and you are trying to enroll your son. But he's not a student at that school. I wouldn't want "outside" kids attending classes in our homeschool group, and I wouldn't send my DS to classes offered at the PS.

Just my .02 cents. Take it for what it's worth!

Michelle T

I guess I was confused because a homeschooler on this board is the one who told me about this program. I assumed that it was open to homeschoolers since her son is participating in it.

I had been emailed earlier today saying the class most likely would be cancelled because there were not enough children signed up, so I told them they should advertise in the local homeschool magazine. That is how the issue of homeschooling came up.

I guess I went into the whole thing thinking it was open to all children and was a little surprised that it was not the case. My son was disappointed to say the least. Oh well.

Just to clarify, it's not at a public school, which is why I thought the program was just being run in a private school's facility. It was also a paid for event ($85.00). I'm sure I wouldn't have even considered it as an option if another homeschooler hadn't told me about it.

My child just finished a Mad Science Class in Chesapeake, but it was held in a local church, maybe that's a difference? Anyway, she liked it but I wasn't much impressed. They did some fun things but overall I don't think it was worth the $. HTH

My child just finished a Mad Science Class in Chesapeake, but it was held in a local church, maybe that's a difference? Anyway, she liked it but I wasn't much impressed. They did some fun things but overall I don't think it was worth the $. HTH

My younger boys are enrolled in a class through our home school co-op right now and while it's fun, I agree that it's not worth the money they are charging imho.

Anyway, she liked it but I wasn't much impressed. They did some fun things but overall I don't think it was worth the $. HTH

I was wondering if it would be worth the money. I mean -- I homeschool. I do things like that already. But, I wanted my son to meet other children who are very into science and history, and this seemed like an option.

I think it is wrong either way. I think all children no matter if the go to ps or hs or even private school should be able to participate in all things together.

This is a subject that makes my blood boil. I feel if a parent wants their child to participate with homeschoolers when they are in ps well let them and the other way around. Just my opinion.

I think it is wrong either way. I think all children no matter if the go to ps or hs or even private school should be able to participate in all things together.

I think it's wrong too, it's segregation that is not needed especially in parent paid programs. IF a child will attend, participate and the parent pays the fee-who cares where the child attends regular school? I wouldn't want to participate in ANY type of paid program where they separate hs from private/ps unless it was for scheduling issues only.

I think it's wrong too, it's segregation that is not needed especially in parent paid programs. IF a child will attend, participate and the parent pays the fee-who cares where the child attends regular school? I wouldn't want to participate in ANY type of paid program where they separate hs from private/ps unless it was for scheduling issues only.

You put it so much better than I did. This is what I was trying to say!

Just to clarify, it's not at a public school, which is why I thought the program was just being run in a private school's facility. It was also a paid for event ($85.00). I'm sure I wouldn't have even considered it as an option if another homeschooler hadn't told me about it.

I thought it was something being put on as a public school program that you wanted to attend as a homeschooler.

Different thing altogether if it's just a parent-paid, supplemental class.

Michelle T

Of course I live in lawyer-rich Northern Virginia, but a lot of schools and churches here will not let your child sign up for a class unless you've signed releases and/or are part of a group with an insurance certificate on file with them. Some private schools will let homeschoolers participate in their groups/events only if they pay a fee to the school plus the class fee.

I understand. I'm not mad or anything -- just disappointed for my son. It's their private facility, and they did mention this on the site. I just had it in mind that it was a paid-for program that happened to be held at a school's facility.

They are planning one in May for homeschoolers, and though it may not be worth the money, my 8 year old has no other science and history-minded friends so I thought it would be nice for him.

My concern is that these programs just end up being full of children that are not truly interested in the topics. I don't mean to be rude, but my older son participated in what would have been great programs (which cost quite a bit), but most of the kids just goofed off. They were just places for kids to spend the day during the summer.

Oh well, we'll see.