Menu

Pacific Northwest Friends: Salem, Portland?

Greetings, Northwest friends! I grew up in the Northwest (Salem, OR), attended college in the Seattle area, got married and moved all the way to Washington, DC, and then Louisville, KY for a few seasons.

My family and I are back in the Northwest now, and we plan on settling in the Portland area when my husband lands a job. We are living with my parents in Salem until then. It was good for us to begin our marriage and family away, but it's wonderful to be back in the beautiful Northwest! We're excited to raise our kids here.

My husband and I have three children ages 6, 4 and 1. My oldest is borderline between Kindergarten and 1st grade, but I think we'll begin doing some 1st grade curriculum, just not quite full throttle, yet. We've been homeschooling so far. At this point, we're sticking pretty close to WTM recommendations, unless you have other suggestions to consider.

I'm looking into purchasing curriculum, and was wondering if there are places to buy used curriculum in the Salem/Portland area?

Also, are there Google/Yahoo homeschool groups in he area that might be helpful to join?

Thanks for your time and any input you can share!

Jayna

Married 8 years to KH

daughter (6), son (4), daughter (1)

Reading: Phonics Pathways (thinking of switching to SWR)

Math: Saxon

Writing: Handwriting Without Tears

Welcome back! :)

Exodus books in Milwaukie is a terrific homeschool store. They sell both new and used and they give you a decent price for your used too. I don't know of any other homeschool stores in the area, though I thought I saw a new one represented at convention.

Another great place for general school stuff is Learning Palace in Beaverton and Salem. They do a homeschool teachers discount and they have everything you could want that's not homeschool specific.

Here is one yahoo group that I know of:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orsig/

Good luck - and feel free to let me know if you have any more questions or if I can help in any way. I'm the co-leader of an awesome hs support group in the Sherwood area, smack dab between PDX and Salem.

Hey there!! We're having our Classical Conversations Practicum/Seminar (cost for adults: Free!) Wanda Sanseri of Spell to Write and Read (SWR) will be the co-guest speaker for the afternoon part.... I'm looking forward to hearing from her... I heard a bit at an advanced 2 hr crash course this last year and enjoyed learning many things! I'm in the Salem area CC group, (director) but since you're moving to PDX... that won't work for your family. BUT, it'd be fun to meet you if you end up wanting to come to the Practicum... If you do... pm me and I'll give you info... It's Thurs, Fri and Sat from 9-4. Wanda's part is from 1pm-4pm :)

Carrie:)

Welcome back! :)

Exodus books in Milwaukie is a terrific homeschool store. They sell both new and used and they give you a decent price for your used too. I don't know of any other homeschool stores in the area, though I thought I saw a new one represented at convention.

Another great place for general school stuff is Learning Palace in Beaverton and Salem. They do a homeschool teachers discount and they have everything you could want that's not homeschool specific.

QUOTE]

:iagree: I am in the Beaverton area and made the trip to Exodus. Well worth it! (Oh -- and we just moved here from the DC area last year! We miss the free museums!!)

Edited by kailuamom

• 4 months later...