Menu

Combing Horizons Math with...?

mittmaman

My 3rd grade son and 1st grade daughter are currently doing Horizons math. My "K daughter" is doing Horizons AND Singapore Early Bird.

I am very happy with Horizons and want to continue with that. But given that we are doing 5 Lessons a week (plus the worksheets that go with them) we are going to have LOTS of weeks without math during this school-year...too many in my opinion;).

I don't want the kids to progress quicker than one "Math-grade" per year - I think Horizons is challenging enough for "the right age"...

But I am contemplating adding another math program for those times mainly in which the children are not working on their Horizons (longer holidays...).

I looked into Saxon and am wondering whether that might be a worthy addition...

Singapore might as well be a possibility, but I'm a little concerned about their amount of word problems...(my kids' English is not good enough, yet, to be doing these independantly).

Thanks for your help and advice!

We have successfully done a combination of Horizons and Singapore for about two years now and it has gone well, but then again, I have my kiddos do at least a little math every day (Sundays, holidays, you name it). So we do Horizons 3-4 days per week and Singapore on the others. I understand that may be a little extreme. ;)

In your case, I was thinking that Miquon might be a good choice? It would be an inexpensive addition that requires little reading and is something that you can pick up whenever you have the opportunity, or perhaps could be used on Fridays to slow down your kiddos and provide a fun change of pace.

We use Horizons 2 with Singapore 2.

Horizons gives DS the necessary drill. but not too much. (often I 'll have him do only one row of addition or subtraction problems). Horizons also spirals, so that helps with long-term retention. Singapore takes care of teaching problem solving.

With my older kids, I've used Saxon with Singapore. Same reasoning as above. I would never use Saxon with Horizons...too much drill and not enough problem solving.

HTHs

I combine Horizons and MEP. I chose MEP over Singapore because it's free. Not the most noble of reasons, but I want to be honest. I have been very happy with the combination.I like that MEP puts a great emphasis on logic and really thinking about number relationships.

MEP?

I looked at the two abbreviations list and couldn't find what it meant?

Mama likes free. :D

• 2 months later...
I combine Horizons and MEP. I chose MEP over Singapore because it's free. Not the most noble of reasons, but I want to be honest. I have been very happy with the combination.I like that MEP puts a great emphasis on logic and really thinking about number relationships.

If we are halfway through Horizon's K, (just starting place value and two digit adding) and I want another program because I am not sure how much she is really getting out of it, what level would I start in MEP? Thanks!!

We use Horizons math too and LOVE it. I agree w/ previous poster -- wouldn't dream of combining Horizons w/ Saxon. They're just too similar.

For my soon-to-be 5 yr. old we use RightStart. For my soon-to-be 8 yr. old we use Singapore PM. Both girls do 1 lesson in Horizons and 1 lesson in either RS or Singapore Monday through Friday. We've found it to be a winning combination!