Menu

Tell me more about Cornerstones curriculum

Okay, I will be honest with you.

Years ago, I was very interested in this curriculum, however, at the time we were using Making Math Meaningful by David Quine. When I reached the point of planning jr/sr high for my eldest, I tried SO MANY times to make contact with them to find out if he was going to finish out that curriculum. I emailed, I called...never...N.E.V.E.R. received a reply.

Needless to say, I passed on the WWWW. It was too much of a monetary and time investment to find ourselves needing assistance and not be able to make contact.

That is my only experience...basically, a *non*-experience.

We chose to go with Tapestry of Grace and never looked back. :)

One of my sons used WVWW Year 1 and he liked it. He enjoyed how the syllabus was set up telling him what to do and when. That worked well for him. The content was challenging and he found it interesting. I would have preferred some kind of answer key because I couldn't read all that he was reading, so it made discussion difficult.

We did not continue with it because of the above reasons, and because I had such a difficult time getting all the materials from them. I waited for over 5 months for some of what I ordered. I was not contacted to tell me what was going on or the status of my order. My check was cashed when I placed the order. A couple times I called and got an answering machine and left a message. I never received a return call. Then for a few months I called often, but the answering machine was filled so I couldn't leave any message. I finally sent a signature required, return receipt letter asking when I would receive my order and expressing my frustration at their unresponsiveness. I finally received a reply that they were just then starting to fill the orders they received the month I placed my order. I found that unacceptable and decided that if I couldn't buy all the content in person then I would not do business with them again, even though I liked the WVWW program. In this case, I had purchased most of it at a convention, but they didn't have some of the material so I had to order it. If I had known it would take almost 6 months to receive, I never would have decided to use it.

I've taught all 3 years in our co-op (multiple times with some tweaking). If you do a search on this board you can find a lot of my posts over the years. Here's one you can start with. It really just gives a general overview of what I did, but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions as well.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79875