Menu

Inquisitive kids

Embassy

Just asking a little advice here....I have a 6 year old son who loves to test things out. He likes to see what would happen if he combines 2 things. For instance, yesterday he wanted to see what happened if he put a marker under rapidly running water. As a result I had sprays of colored water all over the bathroom. He has plugged up the sink many times as a result of other experiments.

Should I expect these messes to be normal? I don't want to squelch his inquisitiveness, but don't enjoy all the messes either. Also, how can I encourage this natural experimentation?

Yup, it's a normal kid thing. They can also learn where and when it's OK to get curious. And having them to clean up their science project helps them think through their actions a bit.

The other day my adventuresome one said, "Mom, why does my arm tingle when I touch the metal thingys on the wall plug as I'm plugging it in?" :svengo::svengo:

Fortunately he tripped the breaker.

Yeah, my 8 yro and 7 yro know so much about science, that they have CORRECTED me - several times. Once - in front of a vendor at a herpetology convention, only to have the man confirm that - yes, the 7 yro knows more about herpetology than his mother...:D To make this worse, I have a Bachelor of Science. :D:D:D My 8 yro actually has a business plan for her "reptile-breeding company" that she plans on starting when she's older. :glare:

My 8 yro and 7 yro are into Snap Circuits right now. Amazon sells them for pretty cheap. My 7 yro explained resistance to me and showed me how to lower the volume on his "alarm".

Oh, yeah, and the 7 yro showed me how to do something on the computer about a month ago...(lowering head in shame) How embarrassing...:tongue_smilie:

I wouldn't squelch it...just try to encourage it, I guess. Some of these kids are going to be the next generation of scientists. :tongue_smilie:

All of mine are the same way.

My youngest used toilet paper for measuring the distance between different rooms of the house. She finally stopped doing it few months ago:). Now her passion is books. She reads books by taking them apart. She is our computer hacker. It takes her less than 5 minutes to mess up my husband's laptop by going around his system passwords(my husband is a computer/internet security guru, so it is not just pressing on a button to mess up his OS)

My son used to take computers apart since he was crawling( 8 month old). Once he took a motherboard from my husband's computer which was under"reconstruction". My "young engineer" crawled away with a motherboard, then came back trying to return it to the original slot(he got caught at the crime scene). My husband almost had a "heart attack". He is continuously taking things apart.

My oldest daughter is old enough to understand about cleaning the mess but she can also get carried away by scientific spirit of her siblings:)

P.S. My mother in law used to buy appliances at any garage sales for my DH since he was 3. He disassembled them. Some of them worked after he tried to fix them, some-didn't. He ended up to be an engineer by training:)

Edited by SneguochkaL