Menu

Safe pen pals?

Hi! My middle child has expressed a ton of interest in having a pen pal, but I am frankly hesitant to hand out our address to anyone I haven't met. Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps a PO box just for the purpose?

Also, would anyone out there have any interest in a 7-year-old pen pal from TN? :-) If there's interest, I will probably get a PO box this week!

Thanks,

Heather

I don't see it as being any different than giving out your addy to some companies online for shipping purposes.

My dd has a pen pal that she started from this forum. A mama did something similar as you asking for a pen pal and I responded. We just got our first letter and my dd has already written back and was excited to put it in the mailbox this morning. However I think as long as myself and her mother handle the letters with our children there isn't a problem.

Just be cautious and make sure to be the head honcho in handling any incoming and outgoing mail :D

Hmmm... I know it would more than likely be fine, but still... there's that niggling little thought in the back of my mind that, true, a child predator might be working for a company in the shipping department, but they are unlikely to know that you even have children. Someone looking on a pen pal forum posting will not only know you have children, but have a quick and easy way to pretend to be younger and get the address! It's unlikely, and I know I sound paranoid! ;-) However, I did have an unfortunate experience in my early 20s that made me privy to the way certain types of people think. It was disturbing and I am afraid it's colored my "trustingness..."

But all that being said, I would love, love, love to feed this desire for a pen pal! I am considering the PO box anyway, just to have a "school" address. So if anyone needs a 7-year-old pen pal, let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

A true child predator would probably be more likely to want to chat to a child in a chat room than to send letters to their house, and having children's bikes and slides and toys and chalk drawings visible in your yard is probably much more of an "advertisement" than requesting a penpal on a homeschool board is in regard to people knowing your address, if you think about it! But email is also a good idea if you are reluctant to give your address out. Good luck, my daughter loves having penpals, but she's almost 10.

• 2 weeks later...