Menu

Medical advice wanted - pressure in ears/head

Last week I had a sore throat/cold that ended up with an ear infection. Like most moms, I just kept waiting it out until I was in a lot of pain. Anyway, the doctor gave me a Rx for a Z-pack which I just finished yesterday. The pain is definitely gone and a I feel better, but, I still have this ear pressure feeling like you get when you fly, except I can't clear it. And my head feels kind of buzzy - almost hungover. I'm not dizzy, maybe a little off-balance at times. I can hear fine and there's not really ringing, but a high-pitched something.

Is this something just to wait out and it will go away? Thoughts? Advice?

TIA!

My 18yo dd had an ear infection in the spring and she felt like you after her antibiotics were finished. The Dr. said she could experience that "full feeling" for several weeks. She finally felt normal in about a month. I have a home otoscope, and her ears did not look red or full of fluid even though she felt like they were. (I was trained as an RN to use otoscopes.) She also heard that high pitched sound especially in the morning.

Another possibility after an ear infection is ETD - eustachian tube dysfunction. This can also take several weeks to resolve.

I have that feeling in my head just about every late sping/early summer and in the fall. Definitely sinuses. I have good results with either Advil Cold and Sinus (which is just ibuprofen and sudafed) or Zyrtec-D. You have to get both of those behind the counter, but the Zyrtec-D is especially good.