Menu

Logic stage biology - help!

plain jane

I'm still trying to put together my logic stage biology plans for next year. I'm good for plants and human body as I'm going to use a curriculum that is already pulled together for both topics but I would like some resources for animals. I see in a couple places in WTM that it talks about making and labeling a cell diagram as well as memorizing basic phyla of the animal kingdom. Thing is, I'm not sure where to get this information from. I know it's in the Usborne Encyclopedia, but I'm not entirely sure what all to cover regarding animals. :confused: Help.

I do not want to use the Creepy Crawlies... book as it's well, too focused on creepy crawlies. :tongue_smilie: Not my thing! :lol:

Also, I really wanted to make cell models, not just label diagrams, but I don't know where to start with this. I'm sure there are good resources out there to guide us in doing such things... so, wise Hive, tell me where to look. :)

My 5th grader is doing Logig stage biology also this year. I bought the core books recommended by wtm, but I also happened to pick up some extras at a homeschool sale last week.

DK Animal encyc is a great resource and I know my ds is going to love using. The entire front half of the book gets into cells, habitats, and lots more introductory general info. So you might look around on ebay and such to see if you can find it cheap.

I never thought about doing cell models, please let me know if you find any info, that sounds like a lot of fun!

As for making a cell model: use Jello and a margarine tub, a grape for the nucleus, kidney beans for mitochondria, sprinkles (like you use for decorating cookies) for ribosomes and so on. Kids come up with much better ideas when it comes to food as cell parts :)!

I working on writing Elemental Science's Logic stage bio program right now and I found that the Usborne Encyclopedia didn't have enough info on animals, so I'm going to use the Usborne Nature Encyclopedia instead, it has much more info on animals and also includes plants. Hope that helps!

As for making a cell model: use Jello and a margarine tub, a grape for the nucleus, kidney beans for mitochondria, sprinkles (like you use for decorating cookies) for ribosomes and so on. Kids come up with much better ideas when it comes to food as cell parts :)!

I working on writing Elemental Science's Logic stage bio program right now and I found that the Usborne Encyclopedia didn't have enough info on animals, so I'm going to use the Usborne Nature Encyclopedia instead, it has much more info on animals and also includes plants. Hope that helps!

Can you link this for me?

The only 2 that I can think of are the Mysteries and Marvels of Nature by Usborne and the Usborne Encyclopedia of the Natural World which is OOP.

Thanks!