Menu

OK...Finally decided on Ds's 11th grade...the saga continues :-)

I have lost way too much sleep over this...so here it is. NOT my best year to plan EVER. My dreams are meeting with reality, and the reality is not my dream homeschool.

BUT, this is what ds needs this year...I think:001_huh:

Math: Teaching Textbooks Pre-Calculus

Science: Apologia Physics (will be adding real books to this such as Richard Feingold's books and probably Stephen Hawkings etc. Probably add some NOVA specials and other videos.)

English 11: A Beka American Literature with Composition (including Grammar)plus 2 novels and other assigned reading.

Economics: A Beka Work & Prosperity and Hazlitt Economics in one lesson. Course includes a 10 page persuasive research paper.

Accounting 1: Alpha Omega life pacs

Technical Studies/ Apprentice: Work 8-16 hours per week learning HVAC/ Plumbing trade. He will be doing the Oil Service Tech certification class too.

Health: Red Cross Lifeguard Training Cert, CPR Cert, AED, First Aid for Lifeguards. He will probably take the Water Safety Instructor exam as well.

SAT Practice and taking first SAT in spring.

Phys Ed. US Swim team 4-5 nights per week 2 1/2 hours per night...meets on weekends....

No foreign language, no art or music this term, no history or great books, but he will probably end up reading a bunch on his own. He loves to read, so he usually has his own book list....for example he just finished Dante's Divine Comedy....

Tell me this is OK....and that I can sleep tonight and plan tomorrow.....

Faithe

I'm not one that does highly technical nor perfect homeschooling, but I'd say it looks fine to me! We homeschool to meet the needs of our children, for one thing. So if this is what's going to work for your son, and especially since he's a reader himself, I wouldn't worry about it! I think these applications, like the CPR, Lifeguard training, HVAC Apprenticeship are all WAY more practical than bookwork would be, and he sounds plenty busy!

JMHO! Go sleep! :D

I think you have a GREAT year planned. Boy, swimming takes a huge chunk of time, and you want the kid to have a life! I would not worry about the lack of history -- you have economics in there, which fits into the same "slot."

It looks like maybe your son is interested in going more of the technical trade route (judging from the HVAC apprenticeship). If so, I would not worry about foreign lang. If you think he wants to go to college, seems like schools want to see two years of foreign lang, and they like it to be consecutive.

Looks like a terrific year, tailored to the interests of your son. Just what homeschooling is all about! Well done!

I think you have a GREAT year planned. Boy, swimming takes a huge chunk of time, and you want the kid to have a life! I would not worry about the lack of history -- you have economics in there, which fits into the same "slot."

It looks like maybe your son is interested in going more of the technical trade route (judging from the HVAC apprenticeship). If so, I would not worry about foreign lang. If you think he wants to go to college, seems like schools want to see two years of foreign lang, and they like it to be consecutive.

Looks like a terrific year, tailored to the interests of your son. Just what homeschooling is all about! Well done!

He will definitely be going to college....

My older kids took their foregn language at the CC when the time came. I am just NOT equipped to furnish forign languages and no one has shown a deep interest yet. This ds has been dabbling in Japanese for a few years and has done 5 or 6 years of Latin before High School including all of Henle 1....so, I am just not worrying about it....I just can't.....

The HVAC apprenticeship is so ds can work while going to college. DH is a plumber/ HVAC tech and feels those skills are important for kids to learn no matter what they do later on in life.

This ds has done so much academic work in his earlier years and was sick with Lyme disease all last year now he is somewhat burnt. I am trying to be considerate of that this year, yet not let him off the hook...KWIM?

I think this is our best plan of action. I can always add to his reading list if i need to later on in his 2nd semester.

The earlier SAT is a good idea. i will see if I can set that up for October.

Faithe

Only one thing, when my ds tried to do accounting, physics, and precalculus in one year (and we used the same curriculum as you are), he tired of all of the math. I ended up taking out the accounting.

OY! That was my fear as well.....

So, maybe skip the accounting and do business law...then the accounting next year...

hmmmmmm.....

any ideas?

Faithe

I have never researched high school curriculum (yet! LOL), but I think it looks wonderful!

I LOVE it!

You're a great mom to do this, and he's going to have a WONDERFUL year!

One thing you need to remind yourself, NOBODY cares about your son and his education as much as you do. You are doing a great job and stop judging yourself.

It's great!

Sounds good to me. The only thing I might think about is that several colleges my kids have applied to require three years of social studies, such as history. Maybe econ falls under that? Of course that schedule allows you to skip a year, or do two in one year.