Menu

Math Mammoth users -- how about standardized tests?

truebluexf

Curious how kids who are using MM are doing on standardized tests. We've been doing RS and DS has always tested above grade level, overall, with the exception of the occasional concept that has not been covered in the "right" order. Wondering how MM compares since I'm thinking about switching. Thanks!!

of the CAT 5 math sections correct. They were in ps until 3rd grade and used MM 4 in 4th grade and MM 5A and part of 5B along with the first 7 chapters of Teaching Textbooks 7 in 5th grade. They were challenged by MM and they are sort of flying thru TT at this point. We'll go back to MM 6 after they are done with TT 7 (we're using the latter for review and strengthening of the concepts - it's much easier then MM so it's a nice break from the challenge).

The test was way below their level, I think. Both finished every section with time to spare. And they are not math whizzes in my opinion. MM does its job!

Edited by jlovebaker

• 3 months later...

Both my kids just took the MAP in WA State and scored in the 99% on it. It was our first experience with the test and I found it very odd that they probably got over 1/2 of the answers wrong, yet still scored high for their grade levels. ;-)

There were a lot of math logic problems that I felt like were similar to any asian math program (Singapore, MM) and also MEP math questions were very prevalent in the primary test for my 1st grader. Things like, how many different ways can you switch the blue, red, black & purple tires on the wagon if the red one always has to be on the front left side. That reminded me a lot of MEP math that we had done before with sailboats.

I actually think MM is a very rigorous program, having come from Saxon in PS the past few years. I think it makes them 'think' more logically and a lot more mental math than what they had done previously in the lower saxon levels.

Edited by SaDonna

Can I ask why you are thinking of switching from Rightstart? We like Rightstart too but sometimes the call of a workbook page beckons. It's hard for me as a teacher to feel like I am getting it all in there by just playing games. I want something that says "this is everything you did this year." But it's just me, and I can't say my DD isn't learning. She's doing very well for her age group right now. I'm sticking with it for now and just hoping that it is all that people say it is...