Menu

Please look at my science sequence - is this ok?

Ds leans toward majoring in physics (probably theoretical physics). So, I have planned the following:

Conceptual Physics - 9th

Biology (probably Campbell's) - 10th

Chemistry at CC - 11th

Physics at CC - 12th

Now I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake by using Conceptual Physics for 9th. What do you all think?

Of course, this is all contingent on us not sending him to ps, but that's another conversation.

Thanks for looking at this and giving your input.

Denise

Are you using the highschool or the college level of conceptual physics? I have both. The highschool level is pretty light while the college level is more complex. The college level has a Practicing Conceptual Physics Workbook and a Problems in Conceptual Physics workbook that ups the math quite a bit though still only requiring Algebra I type skills. I recommend college the level Conceptual Physics for a 9th or 10th grader who wants to pursue physics but doesn't yet have the math skills for a more advanced course. It will build a good foundation for later.

Thank you for responding, DebbS.

I'm pretty sure I have the college level book and corresponding workbooks but I will check to make sure.

So, it is ok to skip Physical Science (we did PH physical science in 8th) and have the conceptual physics on his transcript? I just wanted to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Thanks again.

Denise

I am certainly no expert, but ds is taking physics in 9th grade and I foresee him taking physics again at CC.

It is my understanding that physical science is now-a-days taken generally in 8th grade, not in 9th, like when I was in school many, many moons ago. I've even heard that college admissions frowns upon it, but that's just an unsubstantiated rumor.

Just another opinion here--If he has had physical science, Conceptual Physics is not much of a step up from that.

My son is also a physics guy and will be doing:

Astronomy (9th; his request)

Biology with a college level text (10th)

Chemistry (two quarters) + prerequisite for calculus-based physics at cc (one quarter) (11th)

Calculus-based physics at cc (three quarters) (12th)

He had the physics part of Conceptual Physical Science in 7th grade and Conceptual Chemistry in 8th grade.

Thank you for responding, DebbS.

I'm pretty sure I have the college level book and corresponding workbooks but I will check to make sure.

So, it is ok to skip Physical Science (we did PH physical science in 8th) and have the conceptual physics on his transcript? I just wanted to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Thanks again.

Denise

We're skipping Physical Science for highschool, even though in our state it's a 9th or 10th grade course. Instead we're doing this:

9th Grade(last year) - Biology - 1 credit

10th Grade(this year) - Physics and Chemistry - 2 credits

11th Grade - Chemistry II (if he's still interested in Chemistry) - 1 credit

12th Grade - Physics II (if he's still interested in Physics) - 1 credit

The physics class this year will be the college level Conceptual Physics along with the workbooks and Take-Home Physics: 65 High-Impact, Low-Cost Labs from which I have selected about 20 lab activities.

For Chemistry we are using The Spectrum w/labs and The Teaching Company High School Chemistry Course for Chemistry.

Both of these classes together more than satisfy a physical science course.

My son is also very interested in the sciences, so when I caught him reading physics and chemistry textbooks that he bought at a school sale, and doing research on the internet, I decided it was time turn these into courses. I wanted him to get a solid introduction to each subject before moving on to the advanced levels. Hence, we are doing 2 science courses this year instead of just one.

Edited by DebbS
punctuation problem