Menu

self education ??

I am bored out of my mind and just realized why. I am teaching young dc now because my hs is in college:crying:

I would like to go back to school myself but just not able to commit to that kind of time right now, but I can self educate myself at my own rate. So that way in a couple years when I can go back I won't be brain dead. :glare:

Here is my plan. We are studying MFW RTR. So I have IEW Middle ages for me. But I will also be getting the following items:

The Well Educated Mind

Nortons Anthology of World History both 3 volume sets

The timetables of History

SWB History of Ancient World

SWB History of Medieval World

might also buy DK History of the World or something similar

I also have found some good free websites for Math/Algebra. And I would like to study Medical terminology(I think I have a book somewhere for this) and Anatomy and Physiology because I plan to go back to school for Medical transcription or billing and coding.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or helpful hints? Does anyone know of a good discussion group online for classic book studies?

Thanks

Jenny

Sounds like you've got a good list. If your budget allows, maybe some Teaching Company audio or dvd series? I convinced my self that I didn't necessarily have to choose titles for home school, and could occasionally get one just for me. I know that Yale and MIT (there are probably others) offer some parts of their courses free, online. Ds is viewing some calculus lectures from an MIT course to supplement his summer CC course which is moving quickly.

One thing that I'd do if I had younger students would be to have everyone keep a nature journal. Everyone (including you:D) gets a chance to work on their own level. Keeping your youngest ones involved or doing something in parallel might be challenging though. Ds didn't want or have time to keep up his nature journal in high school, and I really missed that part of home school.

I started back on the self-education track about two years ago. I do a lot of studying ahead of my son, so my time for myself can get limited very quickly.

Probably my best advice is that if you find an area you want to explore, set aside the other stuff and follow the area of interest. We studied Middle Ages history for school and I rediscovered my interest in Arthurian legends. I did a search and picked out about 5 or 6 books, some at youth level, and ordered them and started reading. It's turning out to be great fun, even though we're moving onto another period of history next year.