Menu

Where can you buy A Child's Geography by Hillyer?

I've been looking...but the only copies I can find that are available to buy online are vintage... Does anyone know where I could buy this book? Are they still printing this book - like CHOW - or will I just have to buy a vintage copy?

My kids are huge fans of CHOW (the new version used by Calvert)...

:confused: Thank-you (ahead of time) for any info!

Calvert uses other textbooks now for that topic, and it hasn't been updated since 1951. I have a copy that a neighbor gave me, and it's charming but indeed some of it is outdated. I still periodically read to my kids from it.

He was a wonderful writer.

I found my copy at Amazon for $15 several months ago. The book is definitely outdated in many ways. I'm not really a super sensitive person when it comes to cultural and race differences but this book made me cringe a few times. CHOW was updated to not be so offensive but the geography book has not... to my knowledge.

There is a new version here:

http://www.achildsgeography.com/

Actually, I think this is exactly what I'm looking for! I'm going to browse the samples. Thank-you so much!

And, also...yeah, I read some excerpts from the old CHOW - Wow... The updated version that we have from Calvert is a thousand times better. I imagine the old version of his geography book is similar. That's why I was hoping they updated the geography text also. :glare:

The new version of CHOW is great because his story-telling of history is very easy for my kids to follow. In fact, I learn stuff every time we go through one of the chapters.

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions!! :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

I found my copy at Amazon for $15 several months ago. The book is definitely outdated in many ways. I'm not really a super sensitive person when it comes to cultural and race differences but this book made me cringe a few times. CHOW was updated to not be so offensive but the geography book has not... to my knowledge.

Yeah, when you use an older text, you've really gotta preread and change or omit things... It's a shame. :blush: We have run across this with older read-alouds also.

I'm coming into this thread a little late, but here's what I'm doing.

I use the Young People's Story of Our Heritage series by V. M Hillyer and Edward Huey. It is an older series of books, and inside the cover it states that they were originally published as A Child's Geography of the World by Hillyer. They go by titles of Young People's Story of Europe, The Orient, Africa and Asia, etc.

Yes, a good bit of things have changed since the time these books were written, but that is just a springboard for discussion for us, and we have enjoyed using them. You should be able to find them at bookfinder.com.