Menu

Anyone use Logic Seminar on DVD?

I saw this in the CBD catalog and it looks intriguing. It is produced by Daniel Valles and based on Isaac Watts book, Logic. It has 40 lessons (5 minutes each) and one can purchase a workbook with it. The 2 things attracting me to it are the fact that it's on DVD (and I don't have to overload the boys with any more reading) and it's based on an old tried and true text.

Would love to hear more about it - anyone?:001_smile:

• 6 months later...

In am bumping this up to glean the same info from someone. I contacted Mr. Valles and he said it could be started at age 12. He recommended Fallacy Detective after his Seminar due to the nature of the Logic Seminar.

Cynthia, did you decide to go ahead and purchase the Seminar and use it? If so, what do you think?

If anyone else can contribute their experience, I'd appreciate hearing that, too.

Thanks,

Rachel

In am bumping this up to glean the same info from someone. I contacted Mr. Valles and he said it could be started at age 12. He recommended Fallacy Detective after his Seminar due to the nature of the Logic Seminar.

Cynthia, did you decide to go ahead and purchase the Seminar and use it? If so, what do you think?

If anyone else can contribute their experience, I'd appreciate hearing that, too.

Thanks,

Rachel

I purchased it, but haven't used it yet. We have another elective we need to finish up first. I like what I see though.

I'm really considering it for either next year or the year after, at age 11 or 12.

Isaac Watts originally wrote Logic specifically for children to defend the faith using reason and of course, develop reasoning (logic) skills in general. He didn't agree that faith and reason were mutually exclusive. I think there is a tremendous lack of reasoning skils and logic in our society and especially among people of faith.

When you do get around to using it, I look forward to you posting your experience.

Rachel

I saw this in the CBD catalog and it looks intriguing. It is produced by Daniel Valles and based on Isaac Watts book, Logic. It has 40 lessons (5 minutes each) and one can purchase a workbook with it. The 2 things attracting me to it are the fact that it's on DVD (and I don't have to overload the boys with any more reading) and it's based on an old tried and true text.

Would love to hear more about it - anyone?:001_smile:

Cynthia, we've never studied logic, and I will have a student in both 8th and 6th grades next year.

When I asked and began searching this board about logic, the most popular curriculum being used was Traditional Logic.

I'm still unsure about what to do, but I thought I might use Fallacy Detective/Thinking Tool Box next year and then maybe TL the next when my oldest will be in 9th grade.

How does Daniel Valles Logic compare? Could you tell me more about it?

Hi Cynthia,

I know you haven't used this yet and can't answer questions about how you like it. However, I have a somewhat different question. Will you be counting this as high school credit? If so, are you adding anything to it or just using it as is? I really liked the looks of it and the review sounded great. I just wasn't sure if it was enough for 1/2 credit. Thanks!

ETA: I think I found the answer to my own question here. Sorry.

Edited by atozmom
found answer

Cynthia, we've never studied logic, and I will have a student in both 8th and 6th grades next year.

When I asked and began searching this board about logic, the most popular curriculum being used was Traditional Logic.

I'm still unsure about what to do, but I thought I might use Fallacy Detective/Thinking Tool Box next year and then maybe TL the next when my oldest will be in 9th grade.

How does Daniel Valles Logic compare? Could you tell me more about it?

DS2 & DS3 have used Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox in our co-op. I think they are a fun introduction to logic, but I want to add something else. For 6th and 8th grades, you might find FD and TT to be more entertaining to your students. With my oldest, we used TL but found it to be rather dry which is why I was looking for something else for the other boys.

DS2 & DS3 have used Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox in our co-op. I think they are a fun introduction to logic, but I want to add something else. For 6th and 8th grades, you might find FD and TT to be more entertaining to your students. With my oldest, we used TL but found it to be rather dry which is why I was looking for something else for the other boys.

Thanks, Cynthia!

Do you think Valles' Logic is a replacement for Traditional Logic? I think TL is dry too, but it is quite popular on this board. Valles' Logic looks more interesting, but it also looks very different. I need to read more about it.

I am REALLY trying to make the most direct route to rhetorical writing. I know only enough about logic and rhetoric to be dangerous...:lol:

Logic seems so dry, but rhetoric seems so pracitcal! Do you think Valles' Logic is a way to prepare for rhetorical writing?

Thanks, Cynthia!

Do you think Valles' Logic is a replacement for Traditional Logic? I think TL is dry too, but it is quite popular on this board. Valles' Logic looks more interesting, but it also looks very different. I need to read more about it.

I am REALLY trying to make the most direct route to rhetorical writing. I know only enough about logic and rhetoric to be dangerous...:lol:

Logic seems so dry, but rhetoric seems so pracitcal! Do you think Valles' Logic is a way to prepare for rhetorical writing?

I haven't really compared them side by side and my thoughts on teaching logic are probably a bit different from TWTM. My boys are, for the most part, good logical thinkers already and it is reflected in their writing. So I'm not really going for a rigorous logic sequence. I think that the benefit/time ratio for TL was too low for us. I want to use a classic piece for logic and this seems to fit the bill.

• 1 month later...

This looks wonderful! Thank you for posting it! I am 99% sure we'll be using this next year!!

:party:

ETA

CRUD! I didn't read his statement of beliefs beforehand. SIGH

I disagree with so many of his views that I couldn't use a logic program he designed. :(

Bummer.

Edited by Dawn
eta

Disagree with Isaac Watts or Daniel Valles? I, too, disagree strongly with several of Mr. Valles' doctrinal statements and it makes me wonder.

I wonder though if the use of Mr. Watts' book Logic on its own would suffice? Without the extra organization of the'seminar'. I guess I'd have to actually read it first.:glare:

Rachel

This looks wonderful! Thank you for posting it! I am 99% sure we'll be using this next year!!

:party:

ETA

CRUD! I didn't read his statement of beliefs beforehand. SIGH

I disagree with so many of his views that I couldn't use a logic program he designed. :(

Bummer.

Where did you read his doctrinal statements? I don't remember reading them and I probably should before we use the program :D

Where did you read his doctrinal statements? I don't remember reading them and I probably should before we use the program :D

Here: http://www.artoflogic.org/watts/index.php/about/mission_and_doctrine//Mission%20and%20Doctrine

On one hand it strikes me as a little odd that some of the statements are even necessary on a Statement of Belief list for a curricula company. On the other hand, I think the nature of his subject itself (thinking/reasoning/judging) makes it applicable. Obviously I have to wonder if the reason he includes them because in some way they will be reflected in his program. If so, I respect that he is open about that.

Edited by Dawn

Disagree with Isaac Watts or Daniel Valles? I, too, disagree strongly with several of Mr. Valles' doctrinal statements and it makes me wonder.

I wonder though if the use of Mr. Watts' book Logic on its own would suffice? Without the extra organization of the'seminar'. I guess I'd have to actually read it first.:glare:

Rachel

After reading through the statement, I would guess that Valles beliefs and Watts beliefs are very similar. Valles may take a few things farther than Watts would, but the basic protestant bent is probably going to be consistent between both.

Edited by CynthiaOK