Menu

Let's play a rousing game of "Would you eat this?"

I threw together a batch of Hamburger Soup in the crockpot this morning. I use canned tomato soup as the base. I opened up three cans of condensed Tomato Soup from Aldi's that I purchased on Sunday. They were oddly runny. Usually canned tomato soup is kind of thick and viscous. I generally use a spoon to scoop it all out. Today it just poured into the crockpot. I kept going anyway because I was in a hurry. Now that I have time to sit down and think about it, I'm wondering if there could be something wrong with the soup. (Please tell me there's not...otherwise I have to come up with something else for dinner.) Could it be the heat? Our house is air-conditioned, but the cans were stored in a warmer area of our kitchen (cabinet between the stove and a very sunny window).

The soup was probably of the "ready to eat as is" variety as opposed to the condensed version. What does the label say?

I just dug one out of the trash and it is condensed soup. I used myself as a guinea pig and tasted a spoonful. It tastes like my normal Hamburger Soup...

My dh has warned me that when he was still living with his folks they once got a can of green beans from Aldi with a pickle in it. A cautionary tale. :lol:

If you've noticed a lot of their packaging has changed and we've noticed that some items don't taste the same. I've, personally, always thought the Aldi's soups were runny. I haven't used any since they changed the labels but I suspect it's coming from a new manufacturer and that's just the way it's packaged now.