Menu

Tell me about R&S Math!

parias1126

I am thinking of purchasing this for my son who did McRuffy K Math last year. He probably should had been in 1st grade math last year as most of K was too easy, but I went ahead and used it anyway since i had purchased it. I am now looking at the 1st grade for R&S and it seems as it would be too easy for him. Looking at it, it seems as though he could do the 2nd grade math. Is there anything vital that he would be missing going from K to 2nd? It seems that the 2nd grade of R&S covers beginning money, single digit adding and subtracting, beginning time.

Can anyone that has used it confirm this?

Thanks much!

moves very slowly in the first and second grades in order to make sure that the student learns the facts that are such an important foundation.

My advise would be to call them and let them know where your child is in math and then let them suggest a level. They are very helpful and kind.

Here is their number: 606-522-4348.

HTH,

Melissa

moves very slowly in the first and second grades in order to make sure that the student learns the facts that are such an important foundation.

My advise would be to call them and let them know where your child is in math and then let them suggest a level. They are very helpful and kind.

Here is their number: 606-522-4348.

HTH,

Melissa

Third grade moves very slowly also. It can be frustrating for some kids.

My first grader was able to do the third grade book this year.

I am a firm believer in R&S math. Have you looked at the scope and sequence? Also if you call them at the number listed above, they will send you a very nice sample curriculum for the grades you request, and it is free.

It is true that the 1st and 2nd grades start out "slow" compared to other curriculum. BUT it is a true mastery program. The people at R&S believe that it is really important to get those basic facts and operations cemented early. Too many times (and you will see these kinds of situations mentioned on this board) kids get up to algebra and still don't know basic addition. Believe me, R&S catches up in 4th grade. It is a solid program, and it works. I have looked at other programs, and I just really believe in R&S.

HTH!

ETA: I didn't think 3rd moved too slow, but just right. I don't think it is the norm for an average 1st grader to be able to do R&S 3rd grade math.