Menu

Help with IHIP / NY

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for writing an IHIP for the first time.

I sent my LOI & have not heard back from the district yet.. but Im going to go ahead and start writing up my IHIP..

Im in NY. I have found several samples that have helped alot But I want to make sure Im not missing anything.

Okay.. another question..

How do you list your LA? do you include reading, spelling and writing ?

Like would I just list our spelling workbook, our LA book, and our handwriting etc all under the LA?

Also do you list all the books that the child will read, or just the instruction books and save the read list for the quartly reports etc??

Thank you!

thank you! I like that disclaimer, with a few minor changes for us, its great!

DO you actually copy and put in all the stuff from the world book? Or do you just list the books that you will be using for each class?

Guess Im just wondering what the point is to copy the requirements from the world book? Dont they want to know the actual resources we are using ?

Yes, just get everything into the district as per the law even if they don't do things by the law on their end. The IHIPS are due August 15th. You can put all the LA things under that heading or list them separately. I usually put them together except for Literature. I will put that as a separate heading for my high schoolers and middle schoolers. I don't think you have to put every book they read on the IHIPs or even on the quarterly. I never have and I never had a problem. I mean in public school, they don't put down every book the kids read on the report cards!

thank you! I like that disclaimer, with a few minor changes for us, its great!

DO you actually copy and put in all the stuff from the world book? Or do you just list the books that you will be using for each class?

Guess Im just wondering what the point is to copy the requirements from the world book? Dont they want to know the actual resources we are using ?

The reason worldbook works, is because it's a general outline of what you are sure to cover - so it doesn't matter what books and resources you're going to use. You have no idea if the book you had your heart set on is a terrible fit for your child's learning style. This gives you the freedom to change it, yet still cover what's outlined for his grade. I copy and paste right from worldbook, but make it more paragraph-y looking instead of keeping it as a long, bulleted list. I'm all about it being no more than one page.

And no, they couldn't care less what tools we use. Listing books is just one of the options for the IHIP, but imo, it takes up a lot of time, and leaves no room for change.

I do keep my own learning log as we go along that lists all the books and resources we use and the classes and trips we take. This is just for my own sanity, though, since I'm pretty type-A. :tongue_smilie:

Okay.. another question..

How do you list your LA? do you include reading, spelling and writing ?

Like would I just list our spelling workbook, our LA book, and our handwriting etc all under the LA?

Also do you list all the books that the child will read, or just the instruction books and save the read list for the quartly reports etc??

Thank you!

I have always just listed the instruction books we are using. I have never included a reading list on my IHIP or my quarterly reports, though I might say something on my quarterly report to the effect of said child has read a number of fiction and non-fiction books.

If I'm not using an instruction book, study guide, or the like, I give a brief list of topics.

And I never add subjects or details that are not required by the regs.

Keep it simple.

HTH

The reason worldbook works, is because it's a general outline of what you are sure to cover - so it doesn't matter what books and resources you're going to use. You have no idea if the book you had your heart set on is a terrible fit for your child's learning style. This gives you the freedom to change it, yet still cover what's outlined for his grade.

<snip>

And no, they couldn't care less what tools we use. Listing books is just one of the options for the IHIP, but imo, it takes up a lot of time, and leaves no room for change.

You are not locked in to using whatever you wrote on your IHIP. If you make a change in curriculum, text, etc, just say on your quarterly report that instead of "A" you used "B" and continue with your report as usual.

No explanation necessary.

HTH

Okay, thanks again everyone! Im sure that Im entirely over thinking it! So I will just try to keep it simple!

Maybe Ill post it here to see if Ive covered everything!

I still have not heard back from the district after sending my LOI - Almost a month ago, shouldnt be surprised, they are such a mess, this is one reason why I pulled her from there! ;) Anywhooo.....

Thanks again for all the helpful info!:001_smile: