Menu

Wordly Wise

Mom2J112903

What age did your child start this curriucla? I *really* like the looks of it and we are, more than likely, going to drop a formal phonics program. For J it is "busy work" more or less. I will be doing *only* the evals in his Saxon Phonics over the next few weeks, and that will set the future of Phonics for him. We will be starting with eval #5 as he has gone thru all of the others so far and passed with great accuracy.

Just wondering if 6yrs of age is too young and if we should wait.

Thanks in advance!

There is a K and 1st grade level book in the WW3000 series. My DD did the K book last year (5 yo/K) and will be doing book 1 this fall (6 yo/1st gr.). These two levels are very different than the other books but I *love* them. They work on building oral vocabulary where as every other LA program for this age I have seen is limited to learning to read and write words the already know and can use orally. Also, the word lists are chosen based on research that identified words needed for success in subject specific areas in higher elementary and middle grades.

WW3000 has been a great program for my DD and it is one of the few things I am buying ahead for my littlest.

We started right when my DD turned 5, with their amazing K-1 program. It is expensive but it has been so worth it for us. My daughter begs to do these lessons and she uses her new words in her vocabulary everyday. These two years do not cover spelling/writing, they are perfect for young ones. I did purchase Grade 2 and it looks completely different, but we'll be moving on to that later this year.

I have a few blog posts with pictures/word lists. I will try to do an update this week. I actually am trying to slow it down, as my daughter would do multiple lessons everyday if she had her way, and I want to savor these two colorful editions of the K-1 years. :)

http://satorismiles.com/tag/ww/

We started right when my DD turned 5, with their amazing K-1 program. It is expensive but it has been so worth it for us. My daughter begs to do these lessons and she uses her new words in her vocabulary everyday. These two years do not cover spelling/writing, they are perfect for young ones. I did purchase Grade 2 and it looks completely different, but we'll be moving on to that later this year.

I have a few blog posts with pictures/word lists. I will try to do an update this week. I actually am trying to slow it down, as my daughter would do multiple lessons everyday if she had her way, and I want to savor these two colorful editions of the K-1 years. :)

http://satorismiles.com/tag/ww/

Satori,

I loved reading your blog post, and I agree with everythign you wrote. My DD loves WW3000 too! She begs for "story time" (what we call it) and I use it as a motivator for her to finsih other work, LOL!

Do you *really* need the $60 Teacher's Guide? Because if so, we will not use the 1st Grade and either start WW 2nd Grade in 1st Grade or wait until 2nd Grade to start.

If J masters Saxon Phonics 1, could we start with WW 2nd Grade?

Yes you do need the teacher's guide. It has all the info needed in order to use the workbooks. The workbooks really don't have any info in them. The stories and cards and everything needed is in the teachers guides.

As others have said, you do need the teacher's set. I do want to emphasize that WW3000 at this level is totally different than anything else I have seen. Unfortunately the price is a bit steep, but I think it is totally worth it for doing what I call "teasing out the nuances of language". It really solidifies the concepts by presenting words in a multiple of ways. It also presents multiple meanings for words when appropriate and plays with the language, like idioms.

We are doing Saxon Phonics 2, a grammar program and WW3000 for first grade. The WW at this level is oral vocabulary/listening comprehension so it doesn't cover spelling or phonics at all.