Menu

Thinking of switching from SWR to AAS

keptwoman

I'm using SWR as my spelling program, I've used a different reading program.

I'm finding it very frustrating because of the randomness of the word groupings. I find that this means that DD is not completely understanding the concepts, and there are so many to put into place all at once.

Today I used a word list from AAS with our SWR method (writing in the book and marking) to explain to DD the two options for the /k/ sound at the end of a word. I've been smacking my head on a wall almost daily on this point with SWR, she had thick and like in the same word list and got the /k/s mixed up all the time. 15 mins with the AAS word list and she gets it.

So I'm pretty sold on the AAS order of doing things, but I like the physical writing and word marking of SWR. Could we use AAS, write in the book instead of using the tiles and mark as per SWR?

Yes, you could definitely do this. I sort of do this now with dd7, and am thinking of incorporating the WRTR marking system this coming year (she already knows part of it, and sometimes marks her words even though I don't ask her to). My dd doesn't really like the tiles at all, and at the Midwest HS convention I talked to Marie Rippel about it and she advised me to use the tiles as demonstration, and let my dd write instead of using the tiles. I have her write the words in a notebook the first time we go over them, then she does additional word practice on the whiteboard. Really, AAS is as flexible as you want it to be. I've toyed with switching to SWR or WRTR many times, but you can't beat the open and go of AAS. And like you said, the grouping of words can be quite helpful. I do think it makes it easier for the rules to stick. The randomness of WRTR or SWR word lists bugs me too.

I'm using SWR as my spelling program, I've used a different reading program.

I'm finding it very frustrating because of the randomness of the word groupings. I find that this means that DD is not completely understanding the concepts, and there are so many to put into place all at once.

Today I used a word list from AAS with our SWR method (writing in the book and marking) to explain to DD the two options for the /k/ sound at the end of a word. I've been smacking my head on a wall almost daily on this point with SWR, she had thick and like in the same word list and got the /k/s mixed up all the time. 15 mins with the AAS word list and she gets it.

So I'm pretty sold on the AAS order of doing things, but I like the physical writing and word marking of SWR. Could we use AAS, write in the book instead of using the tiles and mark as per SWR?

My oldest two dd's don't care for using the tiles, so I just use them to demonstrate the principles, but they write out their words. You can also easy use the finger spellings or marks ups, if you like as well. I don't use the mark ups there, but I do with her vocab words.

AAS is so much easier to teach, though admittedly I am still not sure I entirely got SWR.

Heather

My oldest two dd's don't care for using the tiles, so I just use them to demonstrate the principles, but they write out their words. You can also easy use the finger spellings or marks ups, if you like as well. I don't use the mark ups there, but I do with her vocab words.

AAS is so much easier to teach, though admittedly I am still not sure I entirely got SWR.

Heather

Like Heather, we also use the tiles mainly for demonstrating principles. My kids write their words (my daughter likes to write on a hand-held whiteboard while my son prefers a plain spiral notebook).

Merry :-)