Menu

Anyone here do a lot of gardening?

Hi! I live in Indiana and try to get as much out of out little, basic house lot as possible. I bought some Nanking cherry bushes and THEN found out that they will get to be 6-8 feet high and 6 feet wide. Yikes! LOL

Anyone here grow these?

We have about 50 different things growing here...maybe more. I'll have to count them. :)

What do you grow?

I add something new every year, too. This year is the cherry bushes and blackberries.

Mary

We homestead (of a sorts) on a city lot in IN.

We have mini-cherry trees (3), black raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes (Better Boy and Mortgage Lifters), green peppers, mesclin, lettuces, swiss chard (for the wild bunnies), onions, potatoes, garlic, spaghetti squash, cucumbers, okra, asparagus, peas, rhubarb, hot peppers, gooseberries, blueberries (the bush is dying though), herbs, broccoli, and green beans.

The new additions this year are everybearing raspberries and jerusalem artichokes.

We tried and didn't like eggplant, brussel sprouts, and the artichokes didn't do too well here.

We've not tried cherry bushes. We have tried rabbits but I just couldn't eat the cute little things so we don't do livestock just veggies and fruit which I put up and freeze or can.

Just planted a dwarf peach tree and dwarf satsuma tangerine. We recently redid our yard, and also planted a pomegranate, and put in a small veggie garden. I'm doing a square foot garden, and have tomatoes, corn, lettuce, pole beans, spinach, carrots, squash and cantaloupe just all beginning to grow.

I have a very long growing season here, but brutally hot summers with a lot of wind.

Michelle T

Hi! I live in Indiana and try to get as much out of out little, basic house lot as possible. I bought some Nanking cherry bushes and THEN found out that they will get to be 6-8 feet high and 6 feet wide. Yikes! LOL

Anyone here grow these?

We have about 50 different things growing here...maybe more. I'll have to count them. :)

What do you grow?

I add something new every year, too. This year is the cherry bushes and blackberries.

Mary

I have those cherry bushes too, just trim them back in the fall. It won't hurt their production. It will save your back on trying to reach them. I have 6 of those bushes and I'm sad I have to leave them behind when we move. They make the best cherry jelly.

We do lots of perennial fruit and stuff like that because that is the most nutritious and the most expensive at the store. :o) Our house sits on the average 1/10th of an acre lot, so I have to keep this neat to keep it looking like a jungle. I do get lots of compliments, so I guess it is OK...

I took out the brick driveway, which was too steep to get up, and put in a strawberry bed holding 200 plants. I took out the shrubs out front and put in red currant bushes. We also have red raspberries, a Montmorency cherry tree, blueberries, rhubarb, daylilies, 2 beds of onions, several kinds of mint, oregano, cilantro, basil, thyme, a lilac bush, several kinds of squash and tomatoes, 2 kinds of leaf lettuce, 2 kinds of mesclun, mums in several places, irises, black-eyed susans, peonies, hot peppers, regular peppers, peas, lamb's ears, purple clematis, hostas, bleeding hearts, California Poppies, alyssum, tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, portulaca, gooseberries, green beans, shasta daisies, 2 rose bushes, and chives. I may have missed a few. LOL

Ridiculous, isn't it? Of course, things come up at different times, too. And some is grown in pots. It is a lot of work, but the kids help and it all helps the budget. :o)

Mary

I just got back inside from digging holes for two fruit trees that will be arriving tomorrow! (A white peach and an heirloom apple.) I do a moderate amount of food gardening, along with about the same amount of landscape gardening. We have about 1/2 acre lot, only about half of which we've been able to finish up to now. We have very clay soil and only get about 10-12" precipitation per year, so I'm trying to figure out what to do with the back half so I'm not having to water it very often.

For food, we have some strawberries and raspberries, the trees I mentioned, plus another apple tree, and aronia, currant and gooseberry bushes. I usually plant tomatoes, beans, peas, carrots, beets and some herbs in 4 raised beds I've made. I'm planning on planting some onions and potatoes this year, too.