Menu

What is a Speech Language Pathology Assistant?

Does anyone know? Here is a link to the description I found.

I would like to be a speech pathologist. That's been my goal since I graduated from college. When I graduated with my bachelor's, the plan was to go on to get a master's in speech path, but then I met dh and we took the family path instead.

There is no local program that offers a bachelor's degree in speech path. There is an online master's degree option, but I don't know if I'd qualify for that having been out of school for so long. My bachelor's degree is in linguistics, and I did get accepted into graduate programs in speech path when I graduated, but that was... longer ago than I care to admit. :D

The link above is to my local community college. I was excited to find that! My thought is if I could complete the assistant's program, I might have a better shot at the online master's program. Also, I thought it would be a good way to see if I might really like to be a speech pathologist someday, or if my interests have changed. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

It sounds like you could work as a speech language therapist as long as you are supervised by someone who is certified as one.

When my son was in public school there was an OT who was not "certified" as an OT but because she worked under a certified OT she was allowed to work as one.

American Speech-Hearing Association and talk to someone. Ask them about your idea, the associate degree and also ask about the masters program you found online. If the online program is legit maybe you could attempt to get into that and skip your time, money, and effort that you would spend at the assistant program.

In twenty years (oh my goodness I'm getting old) I've worked in three hospitals, nursing homes and a small public school. (I'm still working at the school for myself and I moonlight at the hospital in town.) Only at one of the hospitals did we have a speech pathology assistant. She had a bachelors degree in speech pathology or communicative disorders. Our department utilized her only when someone was on vacation. That is not to say that you wouldn't find work. It probably varies greatly by location and setting.

Good luck with you plans. Don't give up on your dream. It is a wonderful profession.

I would try to get in the master's program first. You already have a bachelor's and usually a masters isn't many more hours than an associates. Why go backwards? Use the time and money towards the masters.

The only reason I would do the associates classes is if for some reason the masters program will not accept your current undergrad requirements *and* the associates degree would help beef up your application for the next go round OR you would be satisfied working as an SLP assistant, knowing that it may be more difficult to find a job than a full SLP.

I will also say that I am looking into an online program through a state university for a Masters in Deaf Education. The all online option is only open to those that already have a state teaching certification (which I do). I graduated from college almost 20 years ago and haven't taught in 10 years. They have indicated that it would not be a problem at all getting in. I think that GRE scores are going to be more important, though.

Good luck and I say go for your *real* dream!

I have a bachelor's degree in Speech Pathology. Similar story :) - dh and I were married while in college and started a family soon afterward. Over the years I have often considered going back; I was accepted into a Master's program, but declined admission since we decided to homeschool that year.

As far as an assistant goes... it sounds like a great option, but in Florida and Georgia at least, it doesn't seem to be an actual job option. Other states may hire assistants.

I had to go back to work full-time 2 years ago (long story); I asked the SLP at my boys' school if they would consider hiring an SLP assistant (b/c of my B.A. in SLP and I had volunteered with the SLP at the school the previous year). There was a shortage of SLPs and the school system was short on funding, so I thought it might be a good option - she did ask for me, but they didn't even consider the option. I did get a job as a special ed parapro.

In some school districts in FL and GA, you can get hired as an actual SLP with a Bachelor's degree in SLP (linguistics may apply as well), as long as you get your Masters degree within a certain number of years. I didn't feel confident enough in my skills to pursue that option. One of my sons required years of one on one speech therapy as a preschooler. When he turned 4, he was eligible to attend a preschool SLP session at the local public school. The SLP there had only a Bachelor's degree - she actually graduated the same year and from the same college I did. She was really nice, but had no idea how to work with my son.

There are several online Masters programs in SLP (and many offer the prereqs as well - I even saw one that states if your bachelor's in SLP is more than 10 years old, you have to retake prereqs!) - Western Kentucky University, Nova University, University of South Carolina, Florida State University, Eastern Carolina University... Some of those are only for state residents and/ or those hired to work in the school system who don't have a Masters degree.

I would go for the Master's degree, if I were you - at least where I live, realistically an SLP assistant job is not an option.

Best wishes!

Julie

• 2 weeks later...