Menu

TOG and your high schooler......question

If your use TOG with your highschooler what system do you use so that your student knows what to do each day. Do you just copy the Assignment pages and mark/highlight the things you want them to do? Do you make a separate assignment sheet for them to check off each day? Does your student use a planner that they write their assignments in themselves?

I am not sure what to do. I thought maybe a student planner that my ds has to write down his assignments himself might be good prep for college - as far as tracking what needs to be done by himself as opposed to me telling him. I also thought copying the pages and highlighting what things he should do might work. I really don't want to make more work for myself by making a separate assignment sheet that is basically transferring information from one sheet of paper to another.

What do you do?

I give each student a copy of the yellow assignment pages. During our planning meeting, I tell them which assignments, questions, etc. I expect them to do that week. I give them their books and any maps, sap etc and let them know when things are due. It is up to them to take their planners and plan their week and work out their plan.

I started TOG when my oldest was in 6th and my second was in 3rd or 4th. My third grader took abouttow years to learn how to do this with lots of help. My 6th grader was much quicker and caught on right away.

We have digital TOG, so I download a copy onto ds's computer. He keeps the current week's assignment page in an open "window" all week and refers to it as needed. We have our discussions at co-op on Fridays. I don't look at the AQ and TQ answers, but the entire class is graded by a socratic discussion rubric. They are also graded on 1 presentation and 1 test per unit.

He also charts his week's plan on an Excel spreadsheet at the beginning of the week and emails it to me. This includes his non-Tapestry classes. He is completely independent with his scheduling, although I did help him think through a workable plan. My job is to make sure we have a conference mid-week to make sure he's on track. If he's not accomplishing his work, weekend free time is gone, and his beloved basketball season will be in jeopardy, so he's fairly diligent at staying on task.

I'm always tweaking resources with TOG as I own so many books, so sometimes I substitute or add extra resources. I make up a syllabus for each week. I'm on the road and not at my own computer so I can't give you an example, but search under my name and you should find some examples of how I did TOG.

Christine