Menu

catholic history texts

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

I still am looking for a 7th grade world history text. I am thinking of using the newest book from the Catholic textbook project (or something to that name) but I know my dd is dissapointed because it only covers up to 1700's. It seems that no catholic history text go beyond that. So, I either use Light for the nations (Catholic textbook project) and then supplement with something else for beyond 1700's or try to find a different text. Problem is - I really don't want a protestant text due to anti catholic bias they can have. Abeka's 7th grade history does look nice - but I think they are out due to anti catholic. Any suggestions from catholic homeschoolers out there? It can be a literature based program or a text.

Barb

Guest Barb B

Adding: anyone use The History of the Church from the Didache series? I am wondering if it could be used in 7th grade?

Barb

I hope you get some good responses. I purchased "All Ye Land" by the Catholic Textbook Project to use with my 5th grader. I also have American History for Young Catholics by Seton. It is an 8th grade text.

We are actually doing History Year 2 this coming year, so I know I will run into a lot of bias. The only thing that works for me is a piecemeal approach. I make a timeline of the events and people I want to cover, and then find chapters here and there that match up. This allows me to choose from various opinions so I am not locked into one person's prejudices.

SWB has a cd/download on her site about making your own history program. I think it is called History as Literature or Literature or History??? It has the words history and literature in the title! Listening to that lecture was inspiring and I feel more confident.

Michele

Adding: anyone use The History of the Church from the Didache series? I am wondering if it could be used in 7th grade?

Barb

I think I remember that 8FilltheHeart used this for a middle school dc. Perhaps you could do a search of old posts and see.

I still am looking for a 7th grade world history text. I am thinking of using the newest book from the Catholic textbook project (or something to that name) but I know my dd is dissapointed because it only covers up to 1700's. It seems that no catholic history text go beyond that. So, I either use Light for the nations (Catholic textbook project) and then supplement with something else for beyond 1700's or try to find a different text. Problem is - I really don't want a protestant text due to anti catholic bias they can have. Abeka's 7th grade history does look nice - but I think they are out due to anti catholic. Any suggestions from catholic homeschoolers out there? It can be a literature based program or a text.

Barb

Have you considered contacting the Catholic Schools Textbook folks about extra materials from their next book to help in this situation. They are often very helpful. Michael Van Hecke (whose link/email is on their site) could maybe make this happen for you. Good luck!

Mary