Menu

Fun With Phonograms Materials--Neat!

sbgrace

Fun With Phonograms is so neat!

It would make an excellent addition to any phonogram based program such as Orton-Gillingham, Spalding, Riggs, etc.

Their Phonogram Circus program goes through the consonants and vowel alphabet letter phonograms. Phonogram Zoo does the rest of the phonograms including the complex ones! It covers all the sounds each phonogram makes (so the three A sounds, two C sounds, two ow sounds, etc.).

There is a CD with a story and song for each phonogram. The book for each set has a full color illustration for each phonogram story. Samples are on the page I linked.

The best thing--their Spelling Town DVD sets all the Spalding/Riggs/OG spelling rules to music and video! This is a really fun and memorable way to present the spelling rules. You can see a sample of this on the website as well. I think this would be fantastic to add to Spalding, Riggs, O-G or any other program that requires learning the spelling rules.

Wow - thanks for the link. :001_smile: I wish I could see a scope and sequence for the spelling cd. The sample looks wonderful!

I know! I emailed them a list of the rules I wanted to cover to make sure all were included before I ordered the DVD.

Basically, all their materials seem to be Spalding based and also compatible with Riggs, Orten-Gillingham, Spalding off-shoot programs, etc. I tried to take notes on my first run through of the CD. I need to do it all again. I don't have the exact wording (at all--I just scribbled some notes) but I used the list below and crossed them out as they addressed them so it covers these rules:

http://www.riggsinst.org/28rules.aspx (they may have worded things slightly differently/I suspect Spalding type wording) but they covered them well as in the sample video clip. I do have a question mark written down next to 12 and 13 on that list and wrote video 10? so that makes me think I watched that one once and thought it might cover both together but wasn't sure. I had planned to rewatch and type up a full list but haven't done it yet but I'm certain it covers the rules listed.

They also had a few more than that list. I hurried to take notes on areas I saw them cover not listed on the above. I did not word them like the video or write much but my notes say:

They also covered capitalizing, pronouncing double consonants for spelling, and all the kinds of silent e. Silent e types covered in addition to silent e/vowel says it's name--cannot end in "u" or "u" add an "e", "e" makes c and g say their 2nd sound, each syllable must have a vowel, sometimes e doesn't do anything--the no job silent "e". Basically, they have a section on all the five kinds of silent e's in detail while the Riggs list above just states there are five kinds and gives the first rule about making a vowel says it's name.

Edited by sbgrace

• 2 months later...