Menu

Do SWB's writing lectures prepare for high school writing?

I've been listening to SWB's writing lectures.... all of them. I've really learned to appreciate how she simplifies the process of teaching challenging subjects. She makes homeschooling doable and doesn't use resources that are expensive. She makes it easy to understand HOW to teach.

I've never tried to implement her way of teaching writing. We used IEW for the first time last year: History Theme Writing: Early American History, and we wrote A LOT! My kids learned all about structure and style, but it was almost too much... overwhelming especially for my youngest. My oldest adjusted.

Changing over to narrative summaries and outlines will be a lot LESS writing compared to last year. I will have a 5th and a 7th grader this year. Looking ahead to high school, I just want to be sure that my dd will be prepared for high school writing if we use SWB's writing plan.

SWB does not comment about writing different kinds of writing: descriptive, compare/contrast, operational, and she doesn't say to practice 3 or 5 paragragh essays.... a standard in many writing curriculua. How important is that?

I've considered letting my oldest take a composition class through a local home school covering or through Potter's school in her 8th grade year. If we only use SWB's plan, would she be ready for assignments given to her by any other "school" ?

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Yes. It is cliche, but quantity is not the same as quality, and while it is important to practice writing, there is a point where a writing program is overkill.

I NEVER used a writing program with my kids. The wrote summaries, did small research projects, wrote for fun sometimes. I explained what an essay is, using The Lively Art of Writing as a resource for forming a thesis, then set my kids loose to write essays. I edit their writing, sometimes have them rewrite especially if their essay lacks a thesis or clear arguments. They both write quite well.

Have you listened to the lecture on high school writing? The persuasive essay is all you are working towards. You'll also need a reference for MLA style research papers (the format for citations is very different from when I was a student -- with a typewriter and having to leave room for footnotes).

Jenn,

Thanks! Yes, I have listened to SWB's high school writing although I'm in the process of listening to each one of them several times each because that is the way I learn best. I'm just about ready to listen to high school again.

Please.... could others offer more opinions? I know many listen to and use SWB's advice.

What lectures are you talking about? I've used TWTM as a base for our homeschool and would love to hear SWB talk about writing. We started late (middle school) so I haven't gotten her writing program since it looked as though it was geared more for younger - what have I missed? How can I get her lectures on CD?

My own experience with IEW was that it was too formulaic, and I didn't like the predictability of what she wrote. Since trying that, I've pretty much cobbled together writing and used a tutor for some of it.

Sara

What lectures are you talking about? I've used TWTM as a base for our homeschool and would love to hear SWB talk about writing. We started late (middle school) so I haven't gotten her writing program since it looked as though it was geared more for younger - what have I missed? How can I get her lectures on CD?

You can download them from the PHP site. There is one for grammar stage, one for logic, and one for rhetoric. Combined with her literature analysis lecture (also on PHP site), and you have a great overview for teaching writing all the way through.

The Lively Art of Writing is a thin little paperback book that you can usually find at Borders or B&N. It does teach the essay -- what a thesis statement is, how to narrow it down, how to formulate arguments. I believe it has some writing exercises, I just used it as a reference tool when working with my boys.

The lecture on high school writing also covers coming up with a topic and thesis -- sometimes having it explained in different places is more helpful, so that is why I also have turned to the Lively Art.