Menu

My dd wants to study film making...

My 15 yo dd is interested in going to college to study film making. I have no earthly idea where to start with this. Are there resources we could use at home to study things like writing screen plays, film making, etc. As I said I have no idea where to start with any of this and need advice from the hive.

Thanks

Hi

My daughter is a film major at Biola University. She decided to go into this field after competing in History Day. I would suggest your dd do this contest next year - one of the categories is documentary, so she would get good experience making one (and maybe place in the contest too!).

Do you have PCs or MACs? The latter are far better for making movies - and the Apple Store offers free classes.

My dd is on her way to do film work in China right now, but when she gets back I will ask her for more suggestions. PM me and I will send you my email. My 17 yr old ds is also into film and has worked on one this past year. He has taken books out the library and I will ask him what he recommends.

Our DS is looking to get into filmmaking. He has been doing small projects at home for several years. You can start pretty cheap with equipment -- a video camera and computer software for editing. I highly recommend going with a Macintosh (or clone) computer, as editing and special effects software in the film industry use Mac.

Right now, he is working with a local filmmaker, learning his equipment, and hopes to intern on the man's next film production, tentatively slated for this fall. Both the community college and the university in our town have Digital Arts or Media Arts classes and degree options. Although our DS won't be going this route, we also have an Art Center Design College, An Art Institute, and an ITT Tech Center, all of which offer classes/programs in media.

See if any local high schools have filmmaking classes she could take. Find local filmmakers -- especially high school and college students -- in the area and have her intern/volunteer/help out and start learning the equipment and how video and film production works. Does she have a special area of interest in the business? (i.e., scriptwriting; cinematographer; production crew; sound; editing; post production; acting; make-up; set design; producing; TV or film work; etc.) -- look for books, podcasts and other resources geared around that.

How about any local high school level performance groups (Christian Youth Theater, community theater, Parks & Rec, etc.) that might offer classes in film or video production?

What about the local community college, ITT Tech college, Art college or other post high school option -- do any of them offer Digital Arts or Media Arts programs or classes she could check out?

While the prestigious film schools can be nice for certain types of filmmaking needs or careers, generally the best way to learn filmmaking is by DOING it, and the best way to get jobs in the industry is by networking with people you meet on film and video productions. DOING it also helps you quickly decide whether you really ARE interested in filmmaking or not -- it is NOT the glamorous job that people think it is! ;) Below are some resource ideas for you. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Some "starter" resources:

- Filmmaking for Dummies (Stoller)

- iMovie HD and iDVD 5: The Missing Manual (Pogue)

- Attack of the Killer Video Book: Tips & Tricks for Young Directors (Shulman/Krog) -- while a fast read written for the middle school crowd, there are some EXCELLENT tips and basics in this book

- HDDSLR Cinema with Vince Laforet -- $129 download, 24 hours of AWESOME instruction, specifics, and seeing actual production in digital filmmaking, using high end still frame cameras (where the film industry is headed!) with mega-memory -- VERY worthwhile!

- a FREE Moviemaking Curriculum from Apple -- 16-week course; very detailed lesson plans

Resources in PA:

- Directory of Film Schools in the U.S. (scroll thru list to find ones in PA)

- list of Digital Filmmaking and Multimedia Training in PA

- Pittsburgh Filmmakers website

- list of film schools in PA

- list of filmmaking camps in PA

- Digital Filmmaking program at The Douglas Education Center

Greater Philadelphia Film & Video Commission

- ITT Tech centers in PA

My dd will be majoring in cinema media comm this fall in college. When she first expressed interest, we did not even own a functional video camera (and still don't) and had no idea what it involved. Via a 4-H connection, she was able to hook up with a local production company who very generously allowed her to come one half day a week for a year +, letting her observe and help on sets. This was very useful to see the less glamourous side of the business, i.e. it is not all Hollywood blockbusters, but also includes doing commercial videos for industry - floor cleaners anyone? :001_smile: in order to pay the bills. They also allowed her to use their equipment, starting with older lights and cameras they no longer used, but still far surpassed anything we could have purchased, as well as learning how to use professional level editing software and lending her a Mac. In other words, connecting with someone in the business was a key. Some large churches may have someone that does a lot of video work and may welcome a volunteer so that would be another possibility to get some experience.

I asked my dd what she would recommend - she agreed with what most of the other posters have said. She also suggested doing a study of film history. The guy she interned with had her start back with the old silent films and watch classics of each type, noting things like lighting editing, etc. and writing a short one page response to each. So watching lots of old movies and getting a basic film history book might be helpful. For screenwriting, she said there is a software called Contour by Mariner, that offers a free trial on Mac or Windows and walks you through writing a screenplay, as well as a book called Story, by Robert McKee that is a classic on screenwriting. She said once your dd identifies what area of filmmaking she is interested in, there are any number of books that can be helpful.

It is an interesting adventure when you personally know nothing about it, but doors seem to open, and most people in the business seem very encouraging to young up-and-comers if they are serious and willing to put in the time. HTH!

Ds is a Cinema major at VCU and has spent the last year at VCU, taking some preliminary courses (and the core courses everybody, regardless of major has to do). I think one of the best preparations for film he did was watch a zillion movies--and listen/watch the director's commentary (sometimes it's not the director but one of the stars or whatever).

One of the best ever is the commentary on Orson Wells' Citizen Kane.

Wow do I have lots of stuff to check out! She and I need to talk more about her specific areas of interest.

Chris in VA: She absolutely loves all the "extras" that come with all the movies she purchases. She spends hours pouring over them......

Thanks everyone! :001_smile: