Menu

sonlight core 4 users, a ? for you

Pata

I'm sitting here thinking about dd's 4th grade, partly because dh is gone and partly because I'm going to be purchasing the books when we go back to the States this Oct. We've been blending SOTW with SL books for the last three years (this year included) and I have made up my own plans. Now that little guy is here and I have other planning projects that take priority, I'm not sure that I want to plan out SOTW 4 with readers and read-alouds as I have in the past. I'm wondering if I could just order Core 4 readers and read-alouds and the IG, plus a few of the history books to do alongside of SOTW 4 as I would really like to finish out the series. What do you all think? Will they more or less line up with the history we are studying? I would like to have more of an American history focus since we live overseas and aren't exposed to American history everyday. Thanks for any help you can give!

Sounds like you are pretty much doing the Core and just adding in SOTW? That sounds do-able although I would think the Core itself would be more than enough...unless you are taking away some things.

You might want to ask at the Sonlight Forums, "Choosing Sonlight" and/or Paula's Archives. If you just google Paula's Archives it's easy to find. She has a ton of info on combining curriculum and resources.

I don't know if that is exactly what you're looking for, but HTH some.

Jamie

I guess I would basically be doing the core, except I would use SOTW instead of Landmark or the Story of the USA. I'll ask over on the Sonlight forums, I think I still have a membership there. The main reason I want to do this is so that I don't have to plan out the books for the year. I'd like to just sit down and read quality literature that goes along with our history studies. Sigh...I so wish that Sonlight would write Cores that go with the classical four year cycle. It would make my life so much easier :). Anyone else have any advice??

Edited by Pata

Yeah I know what you mean. I wish I had a better answer for you. I would also be curious how to fuse the two and I KNOW there must be plenty of people who have done it. The thing is, SOTW is broad in scope, Core 4 more narrow....so if it were me.... I would probably just look at the dates that are being "timelined" from the Sonlight IG each week and find the corresponding dates in SOTW and go from there. That shouldn't be too hard since both are chronological. (I think? I haven't done Core 4 yet, but I remembered Core 3 to move along chronologically. That makes more sense.)

It could work nicely, kind of light a global view and then domestic view.

I think for me it would be worth it to get the IG because I would need the structure of that piece in order to pull it off. I would go crazy trying to create my own structure from all the many books and time periods. You could find one used pretty easily.

FYI: the "choosing" forum is free. :001_smile: Any kind of "choosing, searching, questioning" kind of question about SL products seems to be welcome there.

Plus, you could get access to all the other forums (including a specific Core 4 forum) for $5 for 30 days.

I'm not sure that I want to plan out SOTW 4 with readers and read-alouds as I have in the past.

Have you looked at Biblioplan? That's basically what they do. They use alot of SL books, too. It would be very easy to fit in as many SL books as you want to. BP gives you a clear topic each week, so that makes it very easy to substitute in other readers and read-alouds if you want to.

Oh, maybe I should give it another look. Another question for you though, my other concern was the read alouds they scheduled. What are they like and how many are scheduled? On the sample it's a bio that we have already read. Do you know if there's a way to see which read-alouds they schedule?

I don't know about Year 4. But, I've noticed with the other years that most of the read-alouds are also listed in the SOTW Activity Guides, except for Year 2 when BP focuses more on church history. With Year 3, some of the readers for the older students are the read-alouds from Core 3. The BP web site does have a very brief listing with some of the titles, but not many. I went through my SL catalog and matched up all of the read-alouds and readers with the Year 3 BP schedule. Many were already scheduled and it was easy to see where to place the others.

How soon do you need a schedule that match SOTW4 & SL4 readers & R/A's up?

I'm steadily patching something together and (life circumstances permitting :001_huh:) hope to have a basic schedule together in a month or 2.

Wow, that would be great to see! I don't need it until next year. I just have to decide what we are doing for 4th in the next two months so that I can purchase the books while I'm in the States, that way I save the international shipping :).

Wow, that would be great to see! I don't need it until next year. I just have to decide what we are doing for 4th in the next two months so that I can purchase the books while I'm in the States, that way I save the international shipping :).

International shipping, oh yes, I can relate to that :001_huh:

I'll pop the schedule up on our hslaunch page when we're done, be warned though, it won't be as lovely as the schedules you create :001_smile:

Edited by tuesdayschild