Menu

I'm new to homeschooling (and this board) and I'm searching for a LA curriculum

micheller1

I've got three kids who will be homeschooling this year (although I have six children). I really wanted to do Voyages in English but looking on their website - I'm thinking holy bananas batman I cannot afford that!!!

The new 2011 update seemed to incorporate more of a writing program (or so that website says. But I don't have a problem do something else like Writing Strands. My kids need the writing help but they need a good language arts program as well.

I have a 3rd grader, 5th grader and a 6th grader this year. I'm thinking that my last two could probably work the same curriculum but maybe not.

As of right now, my *goal* is to do Spelling Workout, Writing Strands, LOTSSSS of reading (which we do already) and a LA curriculum. I had planned on voyages but I think it's wayyy beyond my price range for three children.

Any suggestions to fill in the missing piece?

Thanks a bunch :)

Edited by micheller1

Christian Light Education (But then you wouldn't need Spelling Workout because it has spelling in it or you skip the spelling.)

Or Rod & Staff English. (I used it last year and liked it. But this year, I want to see how my kids do with workbooks. And I like that CLE is all in one LA. I didn't like that I had separate vocab and spelling.)

Rod & Staff would be ok for combining since it is a textbook and not a workbook. That will save you $$.

CLE is workbook based so you would probably want to buy it at grade level. It's not very expensive either.

I'm doing CLE with Writing Strands for my 5th grader starting in Aug. I just hope CLE goes over well because I really like what I see while putting my lesson plans together.

I've got three kids who will be homeschooling this year (although I have six children). I really wanted to do Voyages in English but looking on their website - I'm thinking holy bananas batman I cannot afford that!!!

The new 2011 update seemed to incorporate more of a writing program (or so that website says. But I don't have a problem do something else like Writing Strands. My kids need the writing help but they need a good language arts program as well.

I have a 3rd grader, 5th grader and a 6th grader this year. I'm thinking that my last two could probably work the same curriculum but maybe not.

As of right now, my *goal* is to do Spelling Workout, Writing Strands, LOTSSSS of reading (which we do already) and a LA curriculum. I had planned on voyages but I think it's wayyy beyond my price range for three children.

Any suggestions to fill in the missing piece?

Thanks a bunch :)

Their texts are really affordable, but also challenging. Depending on how much grammar your dc have previously had, you could either put your 5th and 6th grader in R&S 4 or 5. I'd use either 2 or 3 for the third grader, again depending on how much he/she previously had.

By the way, *Language Arts* really refers to all of the subjects that in the old'n days would have fallen under "English"

Language Arts equals spelling, grammar, composition, handwriting, vocabulary and reading. Based upon your other curriulum choices, it looks like you're looking for a grammar program.

you are probably right - that I just want a grammar program. My brain is overwhelmed I think. All this planning :)

I really wanted something secular and feel overwhelmed by all the Christian homeschooling options. It seems as those are the best ;)

so if I do a sep. spelling, sep. writing, then what I need to find is a sep grammar?

you are probably right - that I just want a grammar program. My brain is overwhelmed I think. All this planning :)

I really wanted something secular and feel overwhelmed by all the Christian homeschooling options. It seems as those are the best ;)

so if I do a sep. spelling, sep. writing, then what I need to find is a sep grammar?

Yep, you need a seperate grammar program if you plan on using Spelling Workout and Writing Strands.

If you prefer a secular text, have a look at Growing with Grammar. It's a good quality program but secular.

Here's a link: http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/1gwgProduct_Page.html

HTH, Stacy