Menu

If you use TOG, can you plz tell me what component you do on each day?

HappyGrace

What day you do mapwork, SAPs, writing assignments, timeline, etc.?

I'm trying to plan what days to do which components and not sure of the flow-like do we need to get a few days of reading in before attempting the SAPs, so they should probably be done on maybe Thursday, but mapwork could be done earlier so we can refer to it during the week during reading, etc. Projects might be fun to do on Fridays, or maybe do we need more than one day for them, etc? Timeline could be late in the week, I'd imagine.

I guess I'll probably have dd10 do vocab on Mon so she can be familiar with the words as they come up in the readings through the week, and then have her study it through the week to test on Fri. That's the only one I have figured out thought!

If you could mention WHY you do each component on the day you do it, that would be helpful too, thanks!

In general we try to get the lit done in the beginning of the week to be able to do the SAP after. The history readings I usually spread out over the week. I don't do anything with the vocab except hand ds the words and definitions to look over before he starts reading so he is familiar with them. The mapwork we usually do at the end of the week. I've heard of some doing mapwork as they read and come across the required locations. We do any Worldview readings in the middle of the week to discuss on Friday if we are on schedule. We often do not do the history in-depth reading unless there is a good deal of interest. Ds picks one or two hands-on per unit to do, and we do some notebooking, not on any particular day - just when we can fit it in. Ds is working at UG level, so we are not doing a timeline this year. We often add extra time for a week plan, anywhere from 1 - 5 days. I plan out each week plan as a checklist so that if it goes longer than a week I am not rewriting plans. Sometimes it's best to just jump in with TOG - you will start figuring out what works best for your family.

What day you do mapwork, SAPs, writing assignments, timeline, etc.?

I'm trying to plan what days to do which components and not sure of the flow-like do we need to get a few days of reading in before attempting the SAPs, so they should probably be done on maybe Thursday, but mapwork could be done earlier so we can refer to it during the week during reading, etc. Projects might be fun to do on Fridays, or maybe do we need more than one day for them, etc? Timeline could be late in the week, I'd imagine.

I guess I'll probably have dd10 do vocab on Mon so she can be familiar with the words as they come up in the readings through the week, and then have her study it through the week to test on Fri. That's the only one I have figured out thought!

If you could mention WHY you do each component on the day you do it, that would be helpful too, thanks!

Well we like to do everything a little bit at a time, so I read aloud the LG daily.

The three older girls do mapping daily, and yes this means some weeks flow into other weeks, but with weeks that have no mapping it seems to work out. Generally they map 1-2 places, depending on how much there is to be done.

The oldest two do vocab daily, and I adjust how many cards they work on based on our pace. They have to be able to define the words for each other. Generally my oldest covers a set of words one day and my 2nd dd covers them the next, so at least they see the words and definitions a couple days in a row before they need to know them.

My oldest does 1-2 timeline figures a day, and again this does mean some weeks blend into other weeks, but again it all seems to work out in the end.

I don't use the SAP pages because we are big idea people, and that is way too many pages for us to follow. I condense it into a single page. I don't do the literature worksheets, because CW has so much literature analysis already. We have a scheduled time twice a week to work on our current project.

That probably isn't a lot of help to you. I did try doing it in more blocks of time, and the kids really didn't like it, but do it daily and they will quickly get their work done. Why fight it?

Heather

I have used TOG for 3 years and this is the system that has worked for us:

Our TOG week begins on Monday when we go over the "general information" SAP, and I give reading and writing assignments. (When my children were UG we reviewed vocabulary at that time) On an ideal week, I assign all reading to be completed by Wednesday, Mapwork by Thursday, and our discussion is on Friday. The Literature worksheets and Accountability questions are also completed on Wednesday and Thursday. My goal is to have everything completed so it can be reviewed during Friday's discussion time. Writing is something we do every day, with pretty specific daily assignments.

This year I am planning to use the weekly evaluations, so things may change a bit. I'm considering beginning the TOG week on Thursday to give time for reading over the weekend. Mapwork and questions would then be completed by Monday, discussion on Tuesday, test on Wednesday. I hope more people will chime in with their schedule - I love to hear how others are using this wonderful curriculum!

I have used TOG for 3 years and this is the system that has worked for us:

Our TOG week begins on Monday when we go over the "general information" SAP, and I give reading and writing assignments. (When my children were UG we reviewed vocabulary at that time) On an ideal week, I assign all reading to be completed by Wednesday, Mapwork by Thursday, and our discussion is on Friday. The Literature worksheets and Accountability questions are also completed on Wednesday and Thursday. My goal is to have everything completed so it can be reviewed during Friday's discussion time. Writing is something we do every day, with pretty specific daily assignments.

This year I am planning to use the weekly evaluations, so things may change a bit. I'm considering beginning the TOG week on Thursday to give time for reading over the weekend. Mapwork and questions would then be completed by Monday, discussion on Tuesday, test on Wednesday. I hope more people will chime in with their schedule - I love to hear how others are using this wonderful curriculum!

Okay...I'm just thinking out loud here since I am just starting to use this. Not new to HS - just TOG.

This is basically how I was thinking of doing things too except I like to hit the ground running on Mondays - everything already lined up and ready to go. But I want to use the way TOG suggests on letting them learn to schedule their work.

So I am thinking that after discussion time on Fridays that we get will get together and plan out the next week. Your idea to start on Thursday makes me go hhhmmmmm....that might work too...especially for my older student.

This year I will have a R/D student, a UG/D student and a LG.

Okay...I'm just thinking out loud here since I am just starting to use this. Not new to HS - just TOG.

This is basically how I was thinking of doing things too except I like to hit the ground running on Mondays - everything already lined up and ready to go. But I want to use the way TOG suggests on letting them learn to schedule their work.

So I am thinking that after discussion time on Fridays that we get will get together and plan out the next week. Your idea to start on Thursday makes me go hhhmmmmm....that might work too...especially for my older student.

This year I will have a R/D student, a UG/D student and a LG.

Sounds good. I would focus on just getting your oldest student going this year, and work with your UG/D level next year, unless they are used to being independent and would prefer that. It is just easier to teach a new skill like that with one at a time, though you know your kids best.

Heather