Menu

Photography for a 5 year old??

EmmaNZ

I am a photographer, and I actually think letting him take lots and lots of random pics is the best thing you can do. He will learn so much by just taking his camera everywhere and having fun! Save all the technical stuff for later.

Thanks Nakia! My 5 yo DD is the same way. She adores photographing various things. Then she critiques herself. For instance, she was trying to take a picture of a woodpecker on a tree next door with my phone (which was most handy) the other day and was upset she could center and get close enough without scaring it. So I can see where just letting them enjoy it leads to learning through the experience itself.

I am a photographer, and I actually think letting him take lots and lots of random pics is the best thing you can do. He will learn so much by just taking his camera everywhere and having fun! Save all the technical stuff for later.

:iagree: I wouldn't call myself a Photographer, more of an advanced hobbyist, but I think this is great advice.

Also, if you are looking for a more direct approach, you could let him take pictures that tie into things you are studying. For instance, last year, ds took pictures of the dinosaurs at the museum to add into his dinosaur lapbook. He photographed our celery experiment and added them to his science notebook. My ds is most proud of the projects that contain photos that he took himself.

I wouldn't teach the technical stuff yet either. But I talk aloud when I'm photographing in front of my 5 year old (started when she was 4). I talk about the composition, the lighting, the background. I'm always on the lookout for a cool background and lighting, and then I try to frame it nicely, talking as I go, but just normal conversation, not lesson-like. Maybe I'll start talking more about composition, like rule of thirds. She has picked up on some of this already.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Does anybody have any ideas how I could channel this into something useful and educational, rather than him just taking lots of random digital photos?

My kids like to take pictures too. I think that letting them have at it without restriction has benefits. It's hard to feel this way when you are looking at all kinds of wacky pictures of toys, siblings, the toilet :confused:, etc. taken at odd angles, no light, etc. However, this free-range experience is educational and the practice will be useful for helping them develop their own eye for the art of photography.

However, in addition to encouraging the free-range photography and because my dc love taking pictures so much, I'm about to start incorporating their photos into our science studies. We've already started taking pictures of things in nature to make an album. This is very convenient for kids who are not very accurate (or interested, or willing) with sketches. I really like the book Picture Science. There are some great ideas in there.

For general photography, I absolutely agree with this. I remember years ago, asking my MIL how she got such wonderful shots. She said she took hundreds of pictures and developed a lot of film to find a few gems. Well, I couldn't afford to do that. I was SO happy when digital cameras came along because now I can afford it. I can afford to take a hundred pictures of the exact same thing and pick through those images to find the best one. What a wonderful thing!

However, in addition to encouraging the free-range photography and because my dc love taking pictures so much, I'm about to start incorporating their photos into our science studies. We've already started taking pictures of things in nature to make an album. This is very convenient for kids who are not very accurate (or interested, or willing) with sketches. I really like the book Picture Science. There are some great ideas in there.

That sounds like a great idea. I know my kids need a nice camera. Right now the little Polaroid digitals they have eat batteries so fast they can't keep up. What kind of camera would you recommend for a 7 and 10 year old?

ETA: sorry for the thread hijack!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
That sounds like a great idea. I know my kids need a nice camera. Right now the little Polaroid digitals they have eat batteries so fast they can't keep up. What kind of camera would you recommend for a 7 and 10 year old?

ETA: sorry for the thread hijack!

Well, I wouldn't recommend what I do, which is let them borrow mine while I hover nearby, full of fear and dread. Only the neck cord keeps from having a full-on breakdown. :tongue_smilie:

Since I'm going to start taking this more seriously, my plan is to let them use my old Canon PowerShot S30 for now but I think I'll buy ds7 and dd their own cameras for Christmas and let ds4 keep the S30. I'm looking at another Canon because I have experience with those and have never been let down. This is the one I'm looking at and I've seen the price as low as $125. If anyone has other suggestions for reasonably priced cameras that still take good pictures and have features that will allow the child to grow into it instead of needing to upgrade, I would be very interested.